Chapter 7

Dahlia was busy sending out invitations for a charity ball she's organizing for ethnic tribes in Mindanao. In two weeks, gaganapin na iyon inviting some of the richest people in society.

She needs as much donations as she can. Plano niyang magtayo ng housing project sa area ng mga ethnic tribes para maprotektahan ang mga ito sa mga NPA na umaagaw ng lupain nila.

"Can I come in? You look so busy," a sudden visitor asked, while peeking through her half-opened door.

She was shocked to find Aspen in her office kaya napatayo siya to welcome him. "Come in! What a surprise. Hindi ko alam na dadaan ka dito."

Aspen stepped inside and she motioned for him to sit on the meeting table just right across her huge desk. Umupo siya sa head chair doon while Aspen was to her right.

"It's nice seeing you again. Ngayon lang ako nakabisita. I was so swamped with sudden work. I'm here dahil may kinonsulta ako kay Gio so I decided to see you, too."

"Oh? Gio is good in his field."

"Yup, meron akong construction project na ginagawa and I just asked for his opinion. Anyway, I wasn't able to talk to you much during the party weeks ago. Nawala na lang kayo ni Miguel bigla," he commented, hinting at something.

"I was tired. I had a headache so I left..," pagdadahilan niya.

"You're mom said may emergency daw kaya umalis ka kagad."

Oooops, wrong lie. "Y-yeah! The headache. My migraines are big emergencies."

Tumango-tango si Aspen. "Anyway, I would like to ask you out on a date this weekend. And I also want to be your date for the upcoming charity ball."

"Wow, you're too... forward. I didn't expect that." And she smiled.

"Dahlia, we're friends for so long. I think I know you but not well enough for us to marry. So I'm proposing that we make an effort at least to get to know each other more." He smiled. "What do you think?"

Naalala niya bigla ang mga sinabi ni Miguel sa kanya noong huli silang nagkita. That Aspen is only keen about her if his father wants her to be his fiance. So Aspen won't be doing this for love, but to please his father.

"Yes, I would love that," she responded, despite hesitating at first.

"Great! That sounds nice. But before we try to get to know each other more, may tanong lang ako." He was suddenly serious. Gone was the light and airy conversation from a while ago

"Yes?"

"Are you and Miguel....?"

Umiling siya kagad before he could even finish the sentence. "We're not.... anything."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded. "Why do you ask?"

Hu just shrugged. "Wala lang. Nagtataka lang ako kung bakit nawala kayo ng sabay last time during the party. Plus, he seemed to be so protective of you... lalo na ng nalaman niya na pinagkakasundo tayo ng mga magulang natin. He seemed... pissed about it?"

"Well, he's been like... a brother. He's always at home with Kuya Gio. So I think he just wants to... get to know the people I date."

"And that's the thing. I've never seen you date. Why is that?"

Nagulat siya sa biglaang tanong nito. Yes, she's never dated and she's never had a boyfriend. Primarily because Miguel has always been there. She didn't really feel the need to complicate the situation dahil sa isipan niya noon, he will eventually call her his girlfriend. But it didn't happen.