Chapter Five

Today the Crescent Pack inner circle will be leaving and heading onto the next territory. Which means today is the day I will be sent after the Alpha. Wren and I had woken up bright and early. He kissed my forehead before leaving before anyone else could wake up, catching him in my room.

I had been a nervous mess all day yesterday but I didn't let it show. I excelled in my training lessons with Bray and Wren. Even playing hostess to Alpha Cane and Liam. Liam... I hope he did find his mate soon enough. What he didn't know though was he lucked out having her not be a part of our pack. It would just be one more thing that Alpha Montgomery could use against their pack.

I look over my room taking in the simplicity of it. I wasn't big on decorations, keeping only the essentials. Being the Alpha's assassin I traveled a lot sleeping in a lot of foreign beds. This may be the last time I stayed in it. The only decoration I had was a picture on the mantle of my fireplace. It was Wren, Garrett, Bray, and I all as kids. Before Alpha Montgomery had taken over the pack.

I pack my bag bringing only a few things, the photograph being one of them and head down to the office. I leave my bag outside the door ready to go as I greet the Alpha.

"Sutton I've taken the liberties of compiling all we know on the Alpha of the Greystone Pack," he says handing me the folder. I don't bother looking at it now. I stay silent as I look at my Alpha. Normally I would avert my gaze. But I want him to know what he is sending me off to before I leave.

"Alpha Montgomery, can I ask a question?" I say.

He looks at me for a moment deciding, his gaze suspicious. He knows since I'm asking it won't be your standard easy answer question.

"Is there any other reason you're having me target the Alpha? I know he's digging around but if I'm going to die over this I think I deserve to know the purpose of this assignment," I say almost pleading.

"Sutton there is a reason I chose you for this task. You understand the games an Alpha must play better than most. What we as a pack must do in order to flourish and grow. I'll admit while the Alpha is digging around and annoying the shit out of me there is more to it...." He pauses still deciding if I am worthy of the information. As far as he knows though I have given him no reason to doubt me. "I plan on expanding the pack territories again. The Alpha of Greystone has made it clear his viewpoints on any wolf's plans for such".

"But Greystone Pack isn't that close to us. You'd have to go through Crescent....." and with that I know. I understand allowing the inner circle onto our pack grounds the last few days. The meetings. "You want to expand into Crescent Pack".

"Yes. Sutton I do believe you are capable of removing the Alpha. I have great plans for you and I in our expansion," he says, meeting my eye contact. This is the longest he has ever tolerated such an action.

His eyes make their way to the door and with that I know he is done with this conversation.

"Thank you Alpha. I shall not fail you," I say bowing my head. As I make my way to the door.

"Oh and Sutton. If you return there will be no more sneaking into rooms, understand?" He says his eyes are growing darker with subtle rage.

My heart immediately drops to the pit of my stomach. I nod my head yes and quickly leave grabbing my pack. I immediately dart out of the house running into the woods. Not entirely sure where I am going, just that I have to get away.

My brain is racing through all the possibilities. How did the Alpha find out about Wren in my room? How long has he known? What does he all know? What will he do to Wren?

I don't bother stopping until my feet touch the water of the lake. I throw my backpack down before I come crashing to the ground. Bringing my knees to my chest burying my head trying to calm my breaths.