Chapter 18

"Father, father did you see Marientte this morning? Do you know where she went?"

Adrien rushed frantically after his father as he walked down the staircase with Félix. Adrien noted his cousin had his luggage packed and ready to go by the door.

"What are you talking about Adrien?" Félix queried, clearly confused.

On the other hand, Gabriel gave no expression at all. "I believe I saw her getting into a taxi around three this morning." He said dryly, ignoring the shocked look on Adrien's face.

"What? You saw her?" Adrien pleaded. "Why didn't you try and stop her?"

"Why would I?" Gabriel scoffed. "She's 'your' wife Adrien, if you can't keep a hold of her, then it's not really my problem. You should be grateful she left of her own choosing, it will make divorce proceedings all the more simpler."

"Why you..." Adrien was about to let a fist fly when Félix lunged in front of him. "How can you stand there and be so cold? You know what Marinette means to me."

"This isn't the time Adrien." Félix said in a low voice, trying to calm his cousin down.

"You're not really angry at me Adrien, you're angry at yourself." Gabriel said, looking smug. "I always said she was an unsuitable choice, but for your sake I gave her a chance. I took her under my wing, I got her back into her design course, I gave her every chance to be part of this family. Her failure at ESMOD only reinforces your poor choice in a wife and she has clearly taken the chance to tuck tail and run. Maybe next time you'll listen to me rather than trusting your heart woman. They will always disappoint you in the end."

Adrien fought against his cousin's hold on him, but let Félix push him up the stairs towards his own bedroom. Neither of them saw Gabriel gripping his head as pain rushed through it again and he made his way to his office.

Once in Adrien's room, Félix shut the door behind him and gave Adrien a moment to cool off.

"Okay Adrien, what the hell is going on here? Did you have a fight with Marinette or something?"

Adrien ran his fingers through his hair in agitation. "What? No, nothing like that."

"Then what's going on?"

Adrien stood at his window with his hands on his hips. "I... I can't tell you." He said, shaking his head before letting it fall against the glass.

"Don't give me that Adrien." Félix replied, standing next to his cousin. "I told you before, we might not have been close over the last few years, but we're still family. Whatever it is, I'm on your side, okay. Just tell me."

Adrien gave Félix a long look before looking back out the window. Félix put his hand on his cousin's shoulder. "Is it something to do with your father? I mean, I know Marinette was upset about the design school thing but..."

"It wasn't just that." Adrien interjected. Pressing both his palms against the glass before rolling them into fists. "It was him."

"Him?"

"Shadow Moth."

A beat of silence passed.

"You mean that guy that's been terrorising Paris for years? What's he got to do with Marinette?"

Adrien sat down on his couch and Félix followed, sitting beside him. Félix noticed Adrien playing with his wedding ring, twisting it round and round, but the silver ring he always wore on his right hand wasn't there. "Félix, there's something you don't know...about Marinette and I. She's more than just the love of my life, Félix, she's my soulmate, my other half."