Chapter 4 - Hope Goes Astray

Drele got up as soon as his alarm buzzed. He immediately got dressed and ran out the door. On this way out, there was everyone in town, gathered up in the town square. Apparently, it still was what seemed like winter even though it's the midst of summer. Drele could see Queen Tearlach up on the very front of the crowd, preparing to give an announcement.

"My friends!" Tearlach signaled for quiet. "The time has come that Sapta has arrived in Dracoterram. We all know that Dracoterram was ceded to the kingdom 30 years ago when the fight between good and evil was won. Now is the time that another fight has begun this time between a stronger evil. I may be 47 years old, but I still have a big heart for everyone in Pupandaka. Let's begin the final battle, phase one for defense! If Sapta dares to cross that mountain range which separates us from Dracoterram, we shall be prepared. Now, I'll need all men to be training, and all women to hide or assist their men. We will let no evil through. For Pupandaka!" The crowd went wild while Tearlach concluded her speech.

Sapta is close? Drele looked around to see if anyone was just hanging out in the open, unnerved to fight. After the speech, Drele ran up to the front of the crowd to Queen Tearlach. "Queen.. I.." Drele waited to catch his breath. "I need to ask you of something," Drele said, still panting. "What has gotten into you?" Queen Tearlach asked. "I was wondering if I can be accompanied after hours in the Garden of Dragons. We may need Tanark's help," Drele explained. "You did say Tanark was the only dragon of adequate strength to contain Sapta."

Queen Tearlach contemplated this request. "We actually do have one job Tanark can help with this mission," Tearlach said. Drele recalled a memory from years ago when he wanted to go on an adventure with Tanark. He had tried, so many times, to meet Tanark, but never got a chance to. This is my time to shine! Drele thought. "Um, well, I was thinking if I can tag along with Tanark on this mission," Drele said nervously, "it's always been a childhood dream of mine to work alongside the most powerful dragon known to the land of magic."

"If you had the right skills for the job, I'd allow it. But you're only 13, and just started training. You have no skills, so I'm afraid I'll have to forbid you for this action," Tearlach declared. "No, you don't understand! This is probably the only choice I have if I want to make this dream come true," Drele shouted. "Drele," Queen Tearlach bent down to eye level with Drele, "look.. I know you really want to do this, but it's way too dangerous for someone who lacks skill. I'm only doing this to protect you. Please abide by this rule."

Drele thought about this, but then became angry. "NO! I want to do this and I will! I'm not waiting another 13 years to do this mumac! It's either now or never!" Queen Tearlach gasped. She had never seen Drele, always pure of heart and kindness, so angry. "Drele-" Tearlach tried but got interrupted. "I don't care what you say. I only want to do this. All I know is that I have always wanted to become this kind of person, going on adventures with the most powerful dragon in the whole frinking world," Drele spoke softly.

This made Queen Tearlach upset. "Drele, you're pulling my pin off. I am the queen of this land, and I say no! If you can't abide by my rules, it saddens me to put you in the dungeon until this whole thing is over. Please.. do this for me," Tearlach spoke calmly. Drele felt guilty snapping at the queen. Ugh.. I do have a plan however, Drele thought, I'll ask Tanark to sneak me out with her tonight, if not later.

"You're right, Queen Tearlach, and I deeply apologize in the most humble manner for my recent actions," Drele apologized to the Queen. "Thank you. Now please, go home and work on your training," Tearlach said. Drele started to walk away. "Oh wait, you may come with me to the Garden of Dragons after hours if you're still up for it.

That's one request I may grant," Tearlach assured Drele. "Alright, thanks!" Drele continued home.