Chapter 8 - Unnatural Essence

Drele and Queen Tearlach enter Tanark’s cave. The natural stony walls were covered with colorful abstract pictures that she probably drew with her claws. The ceilings were sprinkled with dragon-crafted lanterns so bright they looked like they were going to explode and color the walls of the cave once more. The floor was a soft material, similar to that of a carpet, but he couldn’t quite make out the dominant material. 

The main chamber led to two more chambers left and right. Drele went up to the right opening. The cave walls inside it were a solid white, with a soft pink fold in the corner. He assumed that was where Tanark slept. To the left of the fold was a bucket of what looked like chum. He could smell the rancid foul stench of the contents, which made him nauseous.

“What is that stuff in the bucket?” Drele gagged. At first, Tanark was hesitant to answer the question. “That’s where I do my business,” Tanark said softly, “which I should’ve taken care of if only I knew visitors were coming.” Drele gagged again. He never expected to see dragon feces in a bucket. It smelled so bad. “Couldn’t you have at least done it outside?” he said as he pinched his nose, but the smell still leaked through. Tanark didn’t say anything. She walked into the room and picked up the bucket with her mouth and left the cave.

A few minutes later, Tanark arrived back with a clean bucket. “Where are you getting buckets from?” Tearlach asked. “It’s the same bucket. I just dumped it out in the hedge nearby and washed it in the ocean.” Tanark seemed reluctant to say anything more about the bucket situation. Drele breathed a sigh of relief as the smell left the cave. “So, what are you doing here?” Tanark asked. “We came for a request. I’d like to speak in private.” Drele said. Tanark looked over at the queen. “Queen, may you leave us be for a minute?” Queen Tearlach casually nodded and walked out.

“There’s something bad going on here, Tanark,” Drele said. “I know, it’s about Sapta, isn’t it?” Tanark groaned. “Yes, but-” Drele couldn’t complete the sentence. “All my life, I’ve defended this strong kingdom and things always go wrong as long as magic exists,” Tanark interrupted. “Yes, but Sapta has broken through the secondary border. The primary defense is all we got, Tanark. If that fails, the whole kingdom will fall into shambles. You’re our only hope,” Drele explained.

Tanark stared wide-eyed at Drele. “Are you for real?” she asked, shaking her head. “Yes! Just.. look!” he turned her head towards the kingdom’s entrance, towards the shattered secondary border. Tanark gasped in surprise. Never had she seen such force to penetrate the outer defense line. “Please, Tanark,” he said. “Well then, I guess it’s time for action soon,” Tanark turned her back. “Take me with you,” Drele requested. Tanark turned around, slightly tense. “Why should I?” “Because I want to help!” Drele said.

Now she was enraged. “Listen here, Drele. I can’t take another sentient being with me on a dangerous adventure. I can’t risk having you killed. I mean, look at yourself, you’re young, you still have a life ahead of you. Besides, you wouldn’t do crap to save the kingdom. I’m the one who has to save everyone from every possible entity. If I lose you, I’ll take the blame and I’ll be locked up! Do you want that? Do you want to see the most powerful dragon in the world to be locked up and left to die?! You wouldn’t get it. I have to do this alone. This is for me to take on. Now, don’t you come up to me and ask that stupid question again, you hear me?”

Drele nodded in fear. He had never seen any dragon, let alone Tanark, so furious. Queen Tearlach peeked her head in. “Everything alright there? I hear shouting.” Tanark straightened herself as she calmed down. “Yes, sorry, I might have overreacted. You can come back inside now,” she sighed then continued, “I’ll be leaving tomorrow at first light to rid this form of its destruction. I need your guidance, Tearlach.” Tearlach nodded approval. “I’ll be coming along with you.”

“I just need a minute,” Drele said as he exited the cave. The sun was just beginning to set above the bright orange horizon. It was growing colder as night approached. He breathed heavier to keep himself warm and comfortable. He could hear commotion coming from the cave, but it was too distinct for Drele to make out. He looked at the trees. Icicles swayed in a spiraling frenzy as the wind coursed through the snowy branches. He had never felt so relaxed in an outside environment. He climbed up a hill and sat under a lone tree. Drele soon fell asleep shortly after.