Chapter 6 - No Way Back

"Why is his mouth hanging open like that?" Tanark examined. Queen Tearlach came closer to her and whispered something in her ear that Drele can't quite make out. After some seconds, Tanark nodded with a surprised expression. "Wh-what did you say?" Drele asked Tearlach. Queen Tearlach looked at Drele and merely said, "Sometimes, Drele, some things are better left confidential." He looked back up at Tanark. He wondered how she lived so long protecting this land. "Have you been in the War of Pupandaka?" he asked. Tanark gasped at those words.

The War of Pupandaka was a war that was forced some 800 years ago when Pupandaka was still a young kingdom under Queen Zela. Before the dragons arrived. It was a war fought between Pupandaka and the Grand Hverkian Empire. Pupandaka was failing, and that's when the dragons swooped in from the northwest to help. About a few years after the war, Queen Zela and the dragons approved of a treaty enforcing Pupandaka to stay over the west side of the mountain range, while the dragons settled into the east side, which was forbidden land to the Pupandakans. We called this land Dracoterram until Queen Tearlach broke the treaty and instead let dragons come together with this kingdom.

"If I had to answer, I'll say yes, I did," Tanark said with a smile on her face, "and I was the one who led the dragons." Drele gasped. He had never met a dragon that served in the war. What's an easy way he can put it, he never met a dragon at all. This tall, blue, pristine dragon was the first one, and she is their leader. The Dragon of Dragons, he's literally being overshadowed by them. "Everyone that comes up to me, they ask if I'm Tanark and if I've ever been in such a war. Every time the same answers," she said, looking at Queen Tearlach.

She was nodding as she spoke. "Say, why don't you come over to the Clawfire Games once again? Next Friday, 3 to twilight," Queen Tearlach requested. Both Drele and Tanark gasped loudly. The Clawfire Games hasn't been hosted since the year before former Queen Renaha's death. It's a game in which every few years it is hosted and played for dragons against civilians. People from all over the globe come by to see the Games. The event itself lasts for 72 hours. It obviously hasn't been hosted in 35 years.

She stumbled for an answer. "Well... I don't know. I mean, I guess it couldn't hurt to participate again. Yes, I'll go. Are the others coming?" Tanark asked. "We have yet to find out," Queen Tearlach smiled as if she were about to come onto herself.

Tanark leaned in to Drele and whispered into his ear, "I hate when she smiles like that, it makes me think she has some sort of evil plan in awakening." He looked at her with a "I don't give a red dragon's ass" expression. Her eyes widened when she read his expression. "Oh.. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it. I apologize," Drele quickly said after reading her face. Queen Tearlach looked over at us and said, "What're you two doing?" Tanark got up and walked over to Tearlach. "Hey, um.. Can I tell you something? Privately?" she asked nervously. Queen Tearlach turned to Drele. "Sorry, but this is a private discussion. Can you go for a bit?" He walked away.

He could hear the queen squeal. He wonders what secret Tanark is holding from him. Do dragons even keep secrets? In fact, do they die? It's not like he's thinking of killing them, but he wanted to know their life expectancy. He wanted to know what it's like to be an elemental dragon. Or what if... she has some sexual attraction to the queen herself? Drele suddenly has an urge to turn and look from behind the tree.

He jumped when Queen Tearlach and himself rounded the corner. "Oh, dear," Tanark groaned. He stumbled back onto his feet. "What was that about?" he asked. "Let's just say, uh, we'll tell you later," the queen said, brushing herself off, "I suppose you can't handle the news." This confused Drele. This is no secret, but he has yet to know, and he wants to know. He needs to know if it's good or bad. He has to!

They walked under the vivid moonlight that reflected off the bay, under the velvet skies. The moon was half crescent, fading towards a new moon. This white, well-placed moon produced strong feelings for Drele himself. He checked his watch, it's 4 after twilight, meaning it's midnight. He looked back at Queen Tearlach, who then seemed tired. "It's getting late," she said, "how about a ride back?" He nodded sleepily.

They said their good nights to Tanark before she started back to her cave. They got onto the boat that awaited them on the shores. Queen Tearlach sat beside him as the boat pulled away. "You want to know what she said to me?" she asked Drele. He nodded, paying more attention. "I know this is hard to take in, b-but," she stammered, "Tanark is pregnant." Drele's mouth and eyes are wide after hearing this.

"She does not have a mate, so I believe it's an accidental pregnancy. She will be checked up on by the medical bay weekly to ensure that she and her newborn will be in the safest and healthiest way we can offer," Queen Tearlach explained. Drele drifted off to sleep just moments after.