Let's Play, Brother

Beast Boy huddled his knees to his chest, staring at the ground as the bowl of food was placed next to him. The smell of cooked okra and squash filled his sensitive nose, but he looked away. "Eat," said the tribal leader in an accented English, "No one kills a lion on an empty stomach." The green teen sighed and took the bowl. As he munched down, he looked over to the mountain in the north. The tribe had moved further south onto an incline that allowed him to see the mountain range clearly. To the east, Brothers Mountain, which had no snow or clouds hiding its face at the moment, but the murky mental fog and numbing chill in Garfield's heart made it feel like it was the very place of death. It might as well be. Garfield ate little by little. The Chief would shake his shoulder, prompting him to eat more. When he ate the entire bowl, he pushed it aside and went back to gazing at the Marrah Mountain range.

"Why didn't you speak in English?" He asked the Chief.

"To teach you the language. But when the village was ravaged by the elephants, I went back to see the damage. I was there, and only one elephant remained. Then it changed into Toros, and his men came in to burn the village."

"You didn't want him to find out?" Beast Boy asked. The Chief nodded.

"But I didn't know that you were here. I knew he was using you, but I was afraid his men would come back to silence us."

Garfield stood up and sighed, "What am I going to do, Hoofman? I can't go up against Toros. I mean, he's got so much practice... No, I can't fight another person that's a part of my team, my family! He's all I have left since..." He trailed off and hung his head. The Chief stood up and wrinkled his lips into a smile.

"He might be saved."

"How?"

"If you know your brother," The Chief said, "then you know why he's doing this."

"Everything he does is for a reason," Garfield murmured to himself. He looked back at the Marrah Mountains. Clinging his fist, he turned to the Chief, saying, "I think I have a plan, but I need your help."

"Anything within our power, but I will not allow my people to die in a fight."

"You won't fight. I just need you guys to distract them for me."

The old Chief rose his eyebrow. "How?"

Garfield smirked, "By forcing Toros's hand. We'll see if he actually cares."

Meanwhile, the other Titans walked around in their electrified barred cell with their handcuffs. Robin observed the cuffs all around while Cyborg busily tried to break out of them. Starfire kept bashing hers against the rock below, but it wasn't working. Raven calmly meditated in the corner. Then footsteps echoed in the deep dim dungeon, and the team glowered at Toros standing on the other side of the bars. The blonde contorted his lips, "Don't look at me like that. This was the only way to make sure my plan works."

"By betraying us and Beast Boy?" Robin asked.

"I don't make the rules of the world. You want something? You have to analyze every single detail and use it to your advantage." Toros turned to Cyborg and Raven. "Now where is Garfield?"

"I told you, we don't know," Cyborg said.

"Then why don't I believe you?"

"I guess it's the downside of being a villain," Cyborg smirked.

"CUT THE CRUD!" Toros shouted. "I need Beast Boy in order for this plan to work! Now tell me! Be honest!"

"We are being honest with you! We don't know. Why don't you just get your pretty boss to look for him?" Cyborg barked back.