viii. paris

Sometimes, you have to be your own saint, holy or not

Sometimes, you have to be your own saint, holy or not. Maybe you have to fight your own battles, bend backward to clean up the mess others created for you. Sometimes, all you need is blinding rage to become your own worst enemy.

She didn't want to apologize. Actually, when she dreamt that night, she dreamt of a knife slitting Erik's pretty throat. But, the dream turned to waste, and soon enough, she slit her own too.

She avoided eyes like she was blind. Pulled on her clothes which reeked of death. Her stomach filled empty. Tiredness dripped from her fingertips and bled from her sockets.

Sentinels. As Logan lured her to sleep, he explained her fast future. It all seemed depressive. Maybe the black did dull her life.

"Thank you," she whispered to him. They sat at the back of the rental car, she was squished between the door and Logan. The car was covered in silence.

He shook his head, dismissing her. "No problem, ma'am."

A half-smile appeared on her lips. "You can call me Irina, Logan."

As they drove to the conference, every kilometer they cruised faster. Erik sat in the driver's seat in front of her, eyes blazing into hers through the rearview mirror.

Irina expected him to be furious and strangle her with the ring on her finger. But, he stayed silent and away from the sorry excuse of a vile snake in her eye. No need arose in her to say something, anything to him.

She caught Charles glimpsing at Gaia ever so often. Irina awoke to the sight of Gaia's head on his lap, both fast asleep. Even if the last night had turned into a disaster, at least someone received a bit of warmth.

No liquid, hot blood ran down Irina's veins. It all turned to ice. You could see the blue lines along her face and forearms.

The mutants raced along halls, important figures washing past them like a wave. They held frantic faces. Maybe the mutants arrived late. Irina hoped they hadn't.

Charles paced in front of Irina, his featured ones of hopelessness. "Raven!" He yelled at a pair of open double doors.

They bolted inside.

Light streamed into the room, highlighting admiral skin. Raven held a gun in her hand, pointing to a tiny man with a beard hiding in a corner. She whipped her head to them, her eyes widening at Gaia.

The moment of distraction took long enough for a man with black hair to taser her. He wore an army green suit with miniature badges covering the right part of his chest.

While Raven twitched on the table, Irina threw a knife at the man, aiming for the pulse behind his neck. The blade hit the wall. The man convulsed on the ground, the lines of the taser attached to his throat.