Chapter 2 - School: First Impressions

8 years later.

After numerous attempts of trying to convince Taeyeon to go to high school, the frustrated parents have finally succeeded. For the first time, Taeyeon whined and threw a fit, acting like a child, not liking the idea one bit. Her parents were partly relieved that she finally behaved like a child after 8 years of nothing but good acts from her. Her parents were lenient for the first year since it seemed like it's her first time going to school. Eventually she realized that she would have to go to school anyway, but that did not stop her from enjoying her time acting like a child.

"Get uuuuuuuuuuuuup!!!!" Her mom shouted at the big lump on the bed. Noticeably grumpier towards Taeyeon than when she was younger.

"Hmmm.... mm..." The big lump growled.

"If you don't get up, I'm going to pull off your blanket." The woman approached the bed and raises her voice, speaking in a more condescending tone. "I didn't waste all that effort for you to sleep! It's 5 weeks into the semester already, and you still want to risk being late!?""

"Arrasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.......pft!!!" Taeyeon shot up from her bed and kicked her blanket off the bed. Face frowning like a demon and glared at Mrs. Im, her adoptive mother.

"Are you even a lady? Look at your attitude. Look at that face! What happened to you? I remember you used to behave so well. If you don't go to school, what are you going to do in the future??" The woman threw her school supplies on her bed.

In order to not to go to high school, Taeyeon slept in and became stubborn. She missed many deadlines - torn forms, excuses and even ran away once; whatever she could have thought of to delay the inevitable. In the end it took her parents ages to get her completely registered. By the time she got in, it was already a month into the second semester. Like all kids who misbehaved for the first time, she felt good to break the rules which she was pretty sure she had never done before.

The truth was that after focusing on her self-studies for a good while, she got used to it and what she enjoyed the most was the freedom. Because of the lack of attention from her adoptive parents, she did pretty much anything as she pleased. She found out that she didn't need to do a lot of things and some of her old habits slowly started to fade away. The more dreadful truth about going to school was that she didn't know what to expect and she felt a bit anxious. At least she now feels better and, in a sense, livelier, the exact opposite of what she was before, if her feelings of her past did not lie to her. If she can be happy, why not?

Her mother met some nice new friends, who were nice enough to lend her some money. Thus, sending her to high school, much to Mr. Lim's disapproval. But as much as he loves money, he can't take education away from a child.

She stood up slouching and slowly dragged herself to the washroom to wash up.

"It won't be too bad. Just mind my own business, everything will be fine." She said to herself, trying very hard to reassure herself in front of the mirror. She was nervous. It's the first time she will be in a classroom full of people.

"Watch out! I am going to conquer the whole school!" She said to her own reflection but could only burst out in laughter a moment later. "HAHAHAH!!! Oh my gosh, I am crazy."

One deep breath.

"Ok, off to school!"

After she cheered herself up, she ran through the kitchen with a silly smile on her face, as if her attitude of going to school had changed just by going to the washroom.

"Bye mom! I am going to school!" She yelled in excitement, darting out of the door. Then sprinted full speed towards the bus stop, totally forgetting to brush her hair.