Chapter 5

~Aviana~

"Surprise!" I giggled, gently setting her down. Even with her eyes red and puffy, Brae looked beautiful. Her hair obeyed her every movement, cascading down her shoulders like silk as I released her from the hug.

"I thought you weren’t showing up," she said, her eyes twinkling. "I would’ve killed you," she added with a playful grin, pulling me into a quick hug. I laughed, hugging her back.

"I can't believe my baby’s twenty today..." Dan said in the most exaggerated, dramatic parent voice I’d ever heard. "Feels like just yesterday when—"

"Save the speech for the party," Dianne interrupted, giving him a light tap on the shoulder. Bray laughed from behind, stepping closer to Brae.

"I think I’ve given you more than enough attention for today," he yawned, patting her head as if she were a small pet.

"Oh, fuck off," she groaned, rolling her eyes and swatting his hand away with a giggle.

"Happy birthday and goodnight," Bray smiled, though the fatigue was still clear in his voice. He gave her one last pat before heading for the exit. As he passed, he threw me a glance. "I’ll see you at the party," he added, his eyes lingering on me for a moment longer than necessary before walking out.

Brae frowned slightly, tilting her head as she glanced between me and the door. "What was th—" she started, but before she could finish her question, Dianne smoothly cut in.

"You’ve got a big day tomorrow. Better head to bed soon," she said, expertly steering the conversation away from whatever Brae had noticed.

"From Avi," Dan said, handing Brae the gift. Her jaw dropped as more joy lit up her eyes. Her parents quietly left the room, giving us space.

"Vivi, thank yo—"

"Open it," I cut in, too eager to see her reaction to the dress to let her finish.

She giggled, her excitement matching mine as she carefully unwrapped the box. The moment she saw the contents, her eyes widened, and she gasped. "You went to Gullah?!" she squealed, glancing between me and the box in disbelief. "How did you even get i—"

"Open the boxxx" I interrupted again, my voice more panicked this time. I really didn't want to explain how Bray had helped me get it.

She rolled her eyes playfully. "Patience," she teased, picking up the box. "Let’s get out of here first," she said, nodding toward the door.

"Oh, right," I said, glancing back at the mess she’d made in her closet. I followed her out into her room, where she finally exhaled, a sense of relief visibly washing over her.

"Thanks for coming," Brae said softly, setting the box down on her bed, her back still turned to me, relief evident in her voice.

"Brae, you're my best friend," I replied, stepping closer. "You don’t need to thank me for stuff like this."

She slowly opened the box, and the moment her eyes landed on the dress, her whole face lit up. She lifted it from the box, the shimmering fabric reflecting the soft light of her room. The smile that spread across her face made the tension melt, if only for a moment.