CH 4 - Some Conversation

I was convinced that the Potter's just might be the kindest family in the world

I was convinced that the Potter's just might be the kindest family in the world. Each of the them individually and uniquely caring. It started with James, he found me going through his past school work in an effort to catch up what I'd missed. He offered to tutor me in all the subject he had taken, they couldn't actually do any spells because of the laws of magic but just learning again made me feel a semblance of normal. I felt even more touched when Sirius informed me of how little James cared about school and working. Then, Euphemia had taken me shopping for some clothes of my own. Lastly, Fleamont encouraged me to paint with him after noticing my inclination towards the arts.

I had just gotten out of the shower and I had on clothes that actually fit me for once. I was blow drying my hair in an effort to make it less frizzy when I noticed Sirius standing in the doorway staring at me through the door. I jumped and turned off the loud dryer having been mostly finished and turned to face him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stare, I just like your hair," Sirius said quietly. I didn't know what to say so I just didn't say anything I just stared back at him. He looked around a bit awkwardly. "I'll just be going then."

"Wait!" I exclaimed, louder than I expected to. Of everyone in the house, the one I couldn't figure out was Sirius Black. He joked and laughed with James, but he always had a deeper feeling behind his eyes and behind his voice. It always rubbed me in a strange way, the way he seemed to mirror my life in his eyes. Maybe it was the way he was always asking personal question. "I had Euphemia cut a bunch off, I like it much better now."

Sirius tried to take a step forward into the bathroom but all the enchantments I put on it didn't allow him in. He gave me a confused look, I decided to shrug and try to keep a smirk off my face. I hopped down from the counter and stepped back into my room to distract Sirius from the bathroom he couldn't enter. I headed towards my open windows and leaned out of it taking a fresh breathe. I could hear him approach behind me and sit next to me.

"I suspect you want as much fresh air as you can get."

Memories of my tiny dark tower flooded my head and I turned back to him. "You have no idea what I want."

"Then talk to me," Sirius said. "From what I've gathered, you went through hell. I can't imagine that bottling it all up is very good for you."

I glared at him, he shouldn't have been talking about this, he didn't understand. "I did go through hell Sirius! And I would rather not relive it." His grey eyes met icy ones and I could see what was hiding beneath the surface. "You can't say anything, I can see everything you hide behind your eyes, you been through something unpleasant and I can tell it is something you don't talk about so stop being a hypocrite."

I angrily turned away from him and I could hear him sigh. We weren't very good at conversations and every private talk we've had seems to always end this way. Instead of leaving like I assumed he would, he flopped down on my bed. I was just thinking we'd never have a proper talk. Then he opened his mouth.