crybaby - MELANIE MARTINEZ

You're all on your own and
You lost all your friends,
You told yourself that
It's not you, it's them

Tears fall to the ground
You just let them drop

Tears fall to the groundYou just let them drop

CHAPTER ONE

2019

I sigh in annoyance as I sit up off my couch. My living room is still in darkness as I stand up and move around. I open the left-hand window letting in moonlight.

"Moments ago, police reported the death of the most eccentric and reclusive billionaire." The news woman reports as I spit out my water "Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, has been found dead in his home. The creator of the Umbrella Academy-" I turn the screen off leaving the room in silence. I remain still staring at the black screen as a wave of emotions fall over me.

I stand up walking around cardboard boxes scattered across the floor. I approach the kitchen bench as I grab the vodka bottle and take a sip before sliding down the side of the cabinet to the floor. How could dad be dead? I thought that fucker would have been immortal. I take another sip thinking about where I am in life. I'm sitting in my empty apartment surrounded by my entire life packed into cardboard boxes, the last of my money I'm drinking out of a glass bottle. I'm a mess. I could never admit that to anyone, but then again I have no one to tell. I started a small business to sell soaps and candles and things like that. It failed miserably. It was slow business to begin with but once my sister Vanya's book was released no one wanted to do business with an 'arrogant', 'impulsive' and 'close-minded' person. I bet all my siblings are doing great. I know Allison is since she is a beloved American actress, apparently but the other I haven't heard anything about their lives. I haven't heard from anyone since I walked out of the umbrella academy back in 2006. I don't blame them.

I wake up to a loud knock on my door. I groan covering my eyes from the sunlight.

"You've gotta get out." I give my landlord a pleasing look. "Sorry kid but if you don't pay your rent you can't live here." I sigh.

"Ok." I state getting an idea. I shut the door before turning to my apartment. It can't be that bad I mean dad won't be there and I don't think my siblings will be there for long. I grab my phone calling a taxi to pick me up before walking around my apartment checking I have everything and that the place looks reasonable. I stack my boxes before picking them up and walking out of my apartment for the last time without locking the door. I'm going home.

I get out of the taxi looking up at the place I once called home. I hold my boxes in my hands before walking up the stairs. I open the front door before speaking.

"HELLO?" I shout through the house. I walk up to the table positioned in the middle of the foyer. I place my down my belongings.

"Kat?" I look up to see Luther and Allison. I stare at the three unsure of what to say. Allison begins to walk up to me as step back. I shake my head as she steps backwards. I look around the room noticing everything is the same as when I left it.