Chapter 2

June was wrong. This whole week was a setback. And it all started with Monday :

“The music is way too loud!” I called out over the dramatic loud music. 

“That’s the point!” She yelled back, rocking her hips to the rhythm.

I realized all June was going to do was get drunk and then rely on me to cover up for her. 

 I complained and  nudged  past the crowd to get through to the kitchen. I rested my elbows on the counter while kids past through for the red cups full of liquor and beer. 

“Your not into the party?” A boy wearing a white polo, khakis and some sandals. His dark hair was messed up into different places. And his sea blue eyes had red puffs around them. Intoxicated. 

“No” I kept the conversation short.  

“Have a drink.” He handed me the familiar red cup. I eyed him and then laughed. 

Is he serious? I have to drive June back home, and I couldn’t afford getting a ticket for drunk driving.

“I have to drive.” I raked my hand through my dirty blonde tousled hair. 

“So does everyone. Loosen up a bit.” His hand was still stretched. I gave in. I brought the red cup to my lips. 

The smell was strong and bitter, I could already feel it going down my throat, scorching it’s path. I took a big gulp, loosening up. It did burn but it felt nice. 

“Well how was it?” He asked, resting his elbow on the counter only inches from mine.

“Burned.”

“Good, I mixed it with water. So Liquor actually tastes 10x more bad.” I choked on my spit.

“Seriously?” He nodded. He seemed cool, but still had the title of a stranger. 

“I never got your name”

“April.” I lied.

“Ok, April.” He studied my face too long.

“What?” I grabbed a used red cup from the kitchen counter and brought it to my lips. 

“Nothing. Your number?”I laughed in his face again.

“Your really ruining this for yourself.” I drank again.

“How?!” his dimples made dents in his cheeks. Cute, I thought.

“I don’t know you! And your asking for my number” I gave a short laugh. 

“So?! And I know your name is not April” 

“It really is.”

“Sure, it is. See you around.” He departed but interest got the best of me.

“Wait.” he stopped in his track. I released his arm. He turned around with his heel and his eyebrows arched.

“I never got your name.” My cheeks were crimson full of humiliation.  I smacked my palm against my forehead, scolding myself.

“Nate.” He answered short and then we departed. 

Nate left me with a smile on my face for the rest of the night. 

Maybe tonight wasn’t so bad as I would’ve suspected it to be. 

I had a desire  to meet this Nate guy some day, in the meantime I’ll be waiting. 

Tuesday :

“Line up!” The Gym teacher blew into her whistle causing my eardrums to rupture.

There were 16 girls total, 8 on each side. We changed into a white Tank top, Black Gym shorts, knee-length socks, and tennis shoes. 

“We will be playing…” a mischievous smile danced across her face. “Suicide dodgeball.” The whole class groaned. Playing Dodgeball was like playing Would You Rather … With a Psycho killer.

Every Paused

The Gymnasium door swung open. Tank top, Boy joggers, and a Boys Dunk Hi Casual Sneakers. His eyes were a deep brown, almost black and his hair was  coal-black. He had a palish complexion.  A smile glued to his face.

“New Student?!” Ms.Wilson passed the dodgeball from left to right. 

“Yea.” He walked to the opponents side positioned directly in front of me.

“Let’s start.” Ms. Wilson blew air into the whistle. 

5 girls on my team were already out leaving us with 3. I shifted to the right as a ball came hurtling to me. 

“Stop playing with each other and knock ‘em out!” Ms. Wilson yelled from the sidelines. 

I grabbed a red ball, launching it at the new student. He blocked it, causing it to hit the girl behind him talking with a friend. She glared at me and sat on the bleachers.

The new student grinned and thrusted the ball towards me, I lunged left. I grabbed the red ball, and threw it at him again. He blocked it. 

I groaned grabbing and tossing red balls. 

“1 to 1!” Ms. Wilson announced. 

The new student and I were the only one on the court. I focused my gaze on him. I grabbed a red ball, purposely missing. 

He has a pattern. He would move left then right. He moved left. I grabbed another red ball, Hopefully my last, I thought. 

I thrusted it at his right as he dived right. It hit his stomach by an inch.

“Your out!” Ms.Wilson had the whistle between her lips. I grinned walking towards the bleachers.  And then I noticed something. It was a word on his arm. It read … I squinted and my heart stopped beating. 

It read : April. Was that Nate?!