Chapter 3

12:30 : Home Ec

It couldn't have been Nate. He had sea blue eyes and black hair. I told “Nate” that my name was April, and this guy had my fake name written on his arm.

My mind was thumping from these thoughts that danced around. 

The hallways were packed with the high school kids. I spotted “Nate” at his new locker. 

I swore under my breath, his locker was right next to mine.

With my heart in my throat, I stomped over to my locker in silence. I could feel his gaze on me, sweat seeped down my neck.

“What?” Everything around us slowed, and it was just us.

“Nothing.” His eyes raked my body. I was still in my Gym attire.

“Then stop staring.” I couldn’t shake the thought that this could be Nate.

“Wanna give me a tour?” He crossed his arms over his chest and faced the opposite direction of his locker.

“When I’m dead.” I swapped books. “Are you Nate?” The words spilled out of my mouth before I could stop them.

“Who is Nate?” I had his full attention, he arched his eyebrows. I grabbed his arm and shoved it in his face.

“I gave Nate my name so how do you have it?!” I yelled through gritted teeth.

“I’m Jason and this was given to me by my girlfriend.” My heart sank. I don't know why. 

“Sure, I’ll give you a tour.” I offered, the meaning hid behind my mischievous smile.

“Why have you changed your mind?” I grabbed my change of clothes.

“Just give me a minute.” I brought up my index finger to motion for him to wait.

The world resumed. 

I hurried to the bathroom. Change of clothes between my arm and stomach. I dialed in June’s number.  I stripped down to my panties and bra. Fumbling with my HighWaister jeans and a white Crop Top.

She picked up on the third ring.

“June!” I yelled into the phone.

“What is it?” I heard Ms. Ebbie yelling at her in the distance.

“This guy I met.” I began. “I told him my name and now this guy-” I buttoned my Pants. “Now he has my name written on his arm!”

“What?”

“His arm!” I pressed my phone against my ear with my shoulder.

“No, Ms. Ebbie is-” I could hear her grunting on the phone. Until the call ended.

Great, I thought before stuffing it in my back pocket.

I caught sight of  my reflection in the bathroom mirror. Stressed, of course. 

“Ready.” I said perkily. 

“Change of plans. We’re ditching.” He steered me to the exit.