1 - The Reckless And The Brave

**Serena's POV**

Let me tell you something, the feeling of cold liquid suddenly all over your back and hair is about the worst feeling in the world. Even worse is when it's one of the hottest guys in school pouring the soda down my back. Alex Gaskarth is, yes, the hottest guy in our school but he was also a massive jerk. He literally does not know how to be nice to anyone. How he can convince a girl to go out with him is beyond me, let alone how he has managed to sleep with ninety-five percent of the female population here. Thankfully, I am in the five percent that hasn't fallen that far, and I hope to not go there.

Anyway, I got a little off track there. Alex had just poured icy cold soda down my back. I whipped around in my seat and glared at him. He just gave me this half smile and a shrug, like he didn't think I'd be angry.

“Watch it, Gaskarth,” I snipped out. “I will not hesitate to kick your ass. Do not test me.”

He smirked again, infuriating me just that much more. “Aw, come on Serena, you know you couldn't hurt me.” I turned back around in my seat, going back to watching the basketball game. I decided to myself that I'd go wash off at halftime, which was coming up here in about two minutes. Finally, the buzzer went off and I headed to the bathroom to clean up. When I came out, there the jerk was, just standing by the door, staring at me.

* * *

After the game, my friend Alyson and I headed out to her car. We had planned to go to a house party but were still debating it.

“C'mon, Serena!” Alyson's whine cut through my haze of thought. “We won by a landslide and we haven't been to a party in freaking forever!” I glanced over to see her giving me the puppy-dog eyes.

I sighed, “Fine, but you are NOT dressing me this time! You made me look like a total slut last time. I'll be just fine this time.” Alyson rolled her eyes but she nodded, looking happy I'd even agreed to go out.

It took her roughly four minutes to get to the house a few blocks away. We could practically hear the bass coming from the house when the door opened. Stepping in, we were greeted by none other than Alex flipping Gaskarth. Seriously? Was this kid everywhere??!!