Chapter 7

Celine's POV

Flashback 3 weeks ago

Sleeping peacefully in my bed, I was cradling a pillow to my chest. I could feel the sun was beaming through the blinds that caused me to stir. I was never a morning person, but today I felt tired more than usual.

I groaned when the first beam of sunlight hit me. Trying to feel my alarm clock on my nightstand, I could not find it.

"Ugh, what time is it? Lily, can you please come here?" I asked as I slowly began to sit up. I put my hand on my head that was throbbing in pain.

The room was deadly silent.

"LILY!" I called out my nanny, but it was as if she was not there. I crawled out of my warm bed, only to stumble on something. I opened my eyes to see nothing but absolute darkness. I try to rub my eyes only to find a cloth on my face.

"Ha Ha, Yasmine. Very funny. Now help me take this cloth off," I waited for a minute, but there was no reply.

"If this is a sick joke, I will have to let you know that it is nowhere near funny," I scream.

I could feel my heart beating fast as if it was about to burst. No, something seemed off.

All at once, my memories hit me like a bolt of lightning. I remembered everything.

The last thing I could recall is dad pushing Yasmine because the wall was about to crash on her. But it hits him instead, so he falls unconscious. My mom was screaming, running to dad as fast as she could. She was going crazy, trying to wake him up. Out of nowhere, I could hear her scream my name right before being knocked out unconsciously.

My mind was screaming for help, my eyes refused to open, and all I could feel was freezing, bitter cold. Like my blood was being transfused through a Slurpee machine.

Is it possible that I might have lost my vision?

A gasp escaped me, torn from my lungs by my pain. I struggled against it, gagging on-air as my fingers dug into my sides. Tears burned down my cheeks, boiling against my pallid skin.

Yasmine's POV

Present Time

I exited the metal section only to go to my sister and check up on her. We headed towards the elevators as I came to see an old lady struggling to stand up. She looked exhausted like she has not slept for a year. When Dr.Slim pressed on the fourth floor, my thoughts went to my sister and her blindness.

My skin was tingling and tight. I found goosebumps erupted all over my bare arms. Taking in a deep breath, I tried to calm down.

One more family member to go, Yasmine, and it will all be over.

I felt a shiver run down my spine at the thought of what Celine's face would look like by now.

Dr.Mark guided me to her room.

I felt my heart race as I stood facing her door in utter silence. I felt a hand squeeze my shoulder. I looked up with my eyes wide open and made eye contact with the doctor, only to see him encouraging me with his comforting facial reaction.

When I was about to put my hand on the doorknob, I stopped to think about the number of people who have entered this room, some of which might be positive and have covid.

I open the door using my elbow, inviting Dr.Slim to go before me.

"Who is here?" My sister called out.

I stood there ice cold. Every breath that I have taken since seeing my sister unpacks the trauma, the blood, the noises, and the losses.

"Hello, is anyone here?" Celine asked again, annoyed because of the silence.

"It's Yasmine," I reply to her, awaiting her response.

"YOU ARE AWAKE AND ALIVE?" She jumped off her bed, trying to stand up.

I nodded to her, laughing.

"You do know that I am unable to see you nod your head, right?" She replies with sadness laced in her voice.

"Yes, I am sorry, I forgot. Celine, do not worry. You will not stay blind. We will find a donor for you, even if it is the last thing I do." I promise her as I hug her tightly. The fragrance of impending relief hung in the air.

"I hope so. I have to be positive. The doctors told me that it had happened before with a guy. They restored his eyesight. But Yasmine, I thought that you were going to die. I was unable to think straight. You were in a coma for a month." Celine explained to me.

"I am awake, aren't I? So, you don't have to worry." I replied to her.

"You don't get it. Waking up, open your eyes to the truth. Nothing is what it seems." My sister tells me. It seemed like there was something behind that, but I couldn't point my finger at it.

"Yasmine, I have to check on my patients, and you have to go to your room. We have to run some tests on you so that we know that you are safe to go." Dr. Slim explains to me.

"What about Celine?" I ask him, holding her hand tightly, not wanting to let go.

"She has to stay here for now. Her school knows of her condition. The moment that we find her a match, she will become discharged. It is not safe for her to leave now." He explains

"I don't want you to worry about me, Yasmine. I will be okay. You have to get out of this place, Yasmine. Make use of your time. You have to work on your applications. You need to get out of this country." She warns me.

"Seriously, Celine. That is what you are thinking of now? That is the last of my worries." I tell her.

"Yasmine, watch the news, and you will understand." My sister tells me, acting as if I am coming from another universe.

"I have to leave, Celine. I will most definitely visit you, though. Just keep on giving yourself hope. You will come out of this." I tell her, trying to muster up something better to say.

As cheesy as it is, ever since I was a child, I have always wanted to be a doctor. I used to play doctor with Celine and daydream of having real patients someday. I wanted to go to the hospital every day to save the pained patients and take away their family's pain. But I would have never expected to be a part of the pained family.

I have never gone to the hospital for a case as important as this. I am speechless. I am trying to think of something that might comfort Celine or make her feel better. Unfortunately, that wasn't something that I knew.

I never felt as useless as I did today. I was in disbelieve, thinking that I will be the only one getting discharged now. I wish that I was the one who is blind instead. At least, Celine would have been able to live her life.

Hugging her goodbye, I could feel the tears in her eyes. A tear of hers landed on my shoulder.

My heart was ripping apart. I am can't stand the sight of Celine in this state. Let this nightmare end already.

"I love you, Celine. Take care of yourself." I tell her when I pant a kiss on her cheek.

Dr.Slim pitifully looked at us. But I was unable to say a thing because I pitied my situation as well. To think that many others have had it much worse is wrecking.

No one deserves this. Whoever was in charge of the Blast must be held accountable.

Exhaled through my nose, I gathered myself, forcing myself to exit the room.