Part I

Elias Anderson had always lived with his grandma for as long as he could remember. He was her soft boy, she would say as she brushed his hair from his forehead. It was them against the world. But his grandma was old. Her hands wrinkled and liver spotted, her skin stretched over brittle bones. 

Unfortunately, one evening her age caught up with her and she passed away. And suddenly, Elias was alone. Maybe that's why he did what he did. Because after they'd wheeled his grandma's body away to the morgue, he'd taken all liquor bottles and drank himself stupid.

It was a bit confusing from there. He only recalled flashes, but he did remember the clarity of his body being run over and the burning pain as he choked on his blood. 

And he also remembered Calcifer and the unnatural purple eyes that stared at him.

Calcifer was the stray cat that he would feed. Their neighborhood had a large amount of stray cats that Elias would take care of, but Calcifer to him was special. He was tinier compared to the other grown cats and he had a lame leg and a missing ear. He was also bald in certain sections. He wasn't pretty, and his unusual purple eyes made him even more odd. Plus, he was standoffish and would be quicker to scratch someone than let them approach. 

But as Elias dazedly lay dying, he couldn't help but feel regret. No one cared for Calcifer except him. And Calcifer was so tiny he worried after he died no one would look out for him and he'd follow soon after.

'I'm sorry' he thought as his eyes slowly shut. As sound disappeared and everything faded except the feeling of a cool breath on his nose.

Strangely however, that night, Elias didn't die. He woke up disoriented in the middle of someone's lawn. It was at that point his life changed forever.