Chapter VII

Elias looked out his bedroom window, the rain pattering on the glass. Sunday after the gathering at La Push was spent in deep introspection.

He knew what the Cullen's most likely were, and he probably wasn't the only person that had guessed after yesterday's storytime. He didn't know how Bella was feeling, since the drive back was spent in silence, but just thinking about it made Elias huddle closer to himself.

How would he fare against a vampire in a fight?

Even with his own supernatural abilities, Elias wondered if he even stood a chance. They probably had more experience in fights--if they had been living here since Jacob's great grandfather's time-- and were most likely stronger.

But they had an animal diet (maybe)...and they hadn't harmed him even though they knew he was different. They had even offered their help...Jasper had even 'saved' him from the van...

The Cullen's had never given Elias a strong reason to fear them. They hadn't even threatened him. Anyway, the world was filled with dangerous things. Anyone has the potential to be a monster--supernatural or otherwise. And Elias liked to believe that even though he was 'something else' he wasn't a bad person, so the Cullen's, though they were vampires, weren't bad either.

For a brief moment Jasper's smile flashed through his mind as Elias flushed, hastily turning away from the window and throwing himself onto his bed. He reached for the scarf, burying his nose and sighing morosely when he couldn't smell the combination of wood, mint and spice. The scent had long disappeared as days passed.

He supposed that he'd just carry on as normal. Even if he knew what the Cullen's were, it wasn't like he could go around telling anyone without threatening his own secret.

But now, Elias was debating if he should tell Jasper that he knew they were vampires, because he did feel guilty prying, or just keep it to himself. He was worried that if he told Jasper, they'd find out Bella knew, and then they'd do something to the human girl. At least, the Cullen's and Elias were tied with the shared secret of them both being non-human, and Jasper was willing to provide the answer to what they were in the woods if Elias answered his own questions. Being that old and vampires, especially with Jasper's scars, Elias wasn't going to delude himself with the belief that they had never taken a human life. And though Edward seemed enamored with the girl, he didn't know where the rest of the family stood.

Groaning, Elias didn't know what the best choice was anymore.

***

Elias hadn't seen Jasper or the other Cullen's the next day at school. The good weather that had occurred on Saturday had made a re-appearance on Monday and stuck around.

When Elias had seen Bella--sitting in her truck at 7 am--he could tell that she had come to a decision and was going to stand firm by it. Unfortunately, he had a feeling that he knew what choice she had made, and while he strongly wanted to dissuade her, Bella was stubborn when she decided on something. From the short time since they had become friends, he knew that anything he said would be brushed aside. Even if he got down on his knees and begged her, she would apologize, feel bad, but continue on her path.

He supposed his Sunday dilemma of whether to tell Jasper he knew they were vampires was now going to be void. Even if he didn't say anything and thus didn't reveal that Bella was in the know, the other girl would deliver herself quite happily straight towards whatever lay ahead with her eyes wide open.

After a slow day at school, Jessica had invited Bella dress shopping since Mike had finally asked her to the Spring dance. Angela and her were heading to Port Angeles and Bella, not feeling completely comfortable, invited Elias. Not having anything better to do and seeing no harm in going, Elias sent a quick text to his aunt using his new flip phone, before he hopped in Jessica's old white Mercury.