The Light

During the night, the mansion was rather cold. Maybe because it was surrounded by forest. A flicker of light in the kitchen helped Luna make her hot cup of chocolate. Whenever she was overwhelmed by her thoughts or feelings, she managed to escape to the rooftop. The silence, the blink of starlight, the gloomy nights had proven to be very effective to cure her uneasy state.

But tonight was a bit different. Luna spotted Erik sitting still on her favorite spot. She swore she almost dropped her cup and a lump got caught in her throat. She didn't know what to do, didn't know how she was acting as if a robot had a malfunction in its programming.

"I could go if you want to." As if he could sense Luna's presence, Erik mumbled

"Oh no no, it's okay, I could just-- uhm, stay in my bedroom."

"But you could stay here too, if you'd like."

"Uhm, yeah, I'd like that." hesitantly, Luna sat next to Erik

She took a couple of sips from her white cup, contemplating whether she should talk or not. To be frankly honest, she wasn't the small talk type.

"Why are you here?" After much consideration, she blurted out some words

"Silence helped me to think."

"Ah, I see." Luna didn't think that going up to the rooftop with only her PJs on was a good idea. She cursed herself as to why she didn't bring a pullover before.

"And you?"

"Silence helped me silence my mind." she snarked a reply and smiled coyly

"This was my favorite spot when I was a kid, you know? You see that engraving?" Luna added and pointed a crescent engraving on one of the walls on their left

"Is that your signature?" Erik turned his head, scrutinizing Luna's features

"You could say so." Luna could feel a part of her cheek was burning, realizing Erik was taking a mental picture of her every features

There was a slight awkward tension between Luna and Erik. But Luna had the urge to explain to Erik what had been on her mind lately.

"I think you could help me."

"Care to elaborate more?"

"Help me. Help me discover my power."

"And how would you suggest that?"

"Hmm, no idea. Maybe replicate something from your experience?"

"Alright." Erik stood up, sprucing his grey pants and rolled up the sleeves of his pullovers

"Wow, right now? I mean, you know what to do?"

"As far as I've noticed, you'd go lengths to discover your power."

"Well, okay, what am I supposed to do?"

Luna and Erik walked out of the rooftop and went to the backyard. The night winds breezed through Luna's hair, the hair on the back of her neck stood on ends. Excitement, fright, all knitted with confidence.

"Right. Since you asked for it, I will warn you firsthand. It wasn't easy for me, so I won't make it easy for you as well."

"Uhm, I was about to ask you to go easy on me, but okay." Luna felt a tight knot in her throat

"Close your eyes." Erik moved forward, closing in with Luna by just a few centimeters. Luna could feel the warmth of Erik's breath, brushing the tip of her forehead.

"Eyes closed." Luna complying to Erik's command, but couldn't help to let out a smile in giddy

"Think about the worst, painful, hateful, vengeful, overwhelming memories that have happened to you."