Upon A Time

once upon a time, a princess looked up from a book and into a mirror and convinced herself she could learn to love a beast. He only roared because he longed to whisper, only hid because he longed to be found.
so, she thought, rage is lit by hurt and only water puts out fire. only that which flows,changes, adapts, wears away slowly, and so she washed around him with lessons and care. He clawed at her and she cleaned her wounds with the hope that she could change him.
so here is the lesson you heard:
he hurts you because he is hurting. love him, accommodate him, save him one day the prince he truly is will love you for it.
here is the story I wish I had told you:
once upon a time, a princess looked up from a book and into a mirror and realized she was no curse-breaker. Even if he were a prince, he roared like a beast and she was bleeding too much to want to save him.
so she smashed the mirror and left the pieces for him to sweep away. She ran down stone-castle stairs and tore her dress on the door slamming shut behind her. He clawed at her and she cleaned her wounds with the hope of a life without him.
so here is the lesson you needed to hear:
maybe there’s good inside him, maybe there isn’t. Whether he is beast or prince does not matter. If he hurts you, don’t stay long enough to find out.