Thirteen 𖤓 Jezerine

The pain was gone when I woke.

I was in the infirmary. There was a healer, a young man with a pair of glasses. He hadn't realized I was awake yet.

I had dreamed of him. My smoked lemon. And I had dreamed of that voice. That beautifully gentle voice. I sat up, searching the room for anybody else, for that voice, but the only other person with me was the young healer.

His eyes were wide open when he finally saw me.

"Uhh... how are you feeling?" he asked, rushing to my side.

"Where are they?" I asked.

I watched as he blinked in surprise. "What... what do you mean?" he asked, slightly dumbfounded.

I looked him sternly in the eye. "There had been someone else in here with me. I know because I talked to them. Where are they?"

From the change in his eyes, the way they softened in realization, I could tell he knew what I was talking about.

"I think you should lie back down," was all he said, completely ignoring my question. "Although you have healed quite nicely, I must persist that you need more rest until your mind is fully settled."

I glared at him, his gaze unfaltering. From what I considered to be a young naive healer seemed to actually be some sort of stern leader. Definitely a soldier of some sort. Still, I didn't recognize him. Christopher probably would. Probably knew his name too. Would be able to hold a conversation with him.

Christopher.

He had been there.

In the rain.

He had saved me.

I looked down at my skin. Scars covered my arms. I pulled back the blanket covering me and found more. I was disgusted at how they looked, dark and grotesque against my pale skin. Then I put my hands over my face. I could feel the scars there, weird and strange against my hands. And my eye. My right eye. When I put my hand in front of it I couldn't see anything. Was I blind in my right eye? How had I not noticed?

Before I could even say something, the healer said, "This is why you need to rest some more. If you rest, your body will let most of these scars disappear. If you were human, you would be stuck with these scars for the rest of your life."

I felt like that was a jab at my smoked lemon, the reason I let the rain burn me, but I snarled and let it go.

"And... my eye?" I asked cautiously.

"Most likely the scar tissue will fade but you will never see again with both eyes."

I snapped my head to him, mouth gaping.

"You can't be serious. No... no, no, no," I muttered to myself, shaking my head between my hands. I glanced back up at him and begged, "Please tell me that's not true. Please, please, please..."

Frowning, although it looked like a pout, the healer said, "I'm sorry but your right eye was damaged beyond any scientific or magical means that we have at the House."

My hands were shaking now. Where was Christopher? He had always been there. It was weird that he wasn't. He used to be like a lost puppy around me but now he is gone. Where was he?

Before I could ask the young healer, a soft knock sounded at the infirmary door and a head of blonde curly hair popped in. It was Marigold. My heart felt slightly higher at seeing her face. A friendly one.

"I was on my way here with herbs for the pain and heard the sound of distress. What's wrong, my Little Jez?" I couldn't help but smile at the words coming from her mouth.