Twenty-Five 𖤓 Christopher

NOTE*: This chapter contains images or gore, blood, and violence and might be sensitive to a few readers. The break in the chapter (a sun-type symbol) is where the gore starts.

We made good use of our time. It was still dark out, the moon shining brilliantly over the sky, casting strange glows throughout the House of Spring.

It had only been a day since Eira had gone missing.

One day too many.

And I had searched all over the House of Spring, his scent invisible. Destrine had too when I had specifically told him he needed to stay in bed and rest. Jezerine and Destrine both seemed to be excellent at disobeying my orders. Eira too.

Maybe it was me. Maybe they didn't take me seriously.

I shook my head and continued to pack. If Eira wasn't here, we would search for him. And if he was, if the Clan Leader knew what was happening, we would find someone that can help. I didn't let the others know that. That I think we needed help. I kept that to myself. I didn't want them to know that I was scared. That my belief we would find him was small.

Eira. I should only think about him.

I spun when I heard a knock against my open door.

It was Jezerine.

She leaned against the doorframe, a strapped bag draped over her shoulder. It was small though, probably only carrying one change of clothes along with weapons and food. I was doing the same. What I really wanted was to bring something of Eira's. Maybe a blanket?

No, that was too big.

Jezerine pushed herself off the doorframe and walked over to me as I scanned the room. She seemed to know exactly what I wanted and pulled a locket out of her pocket. Then she crossed the room and riffled through the small desk neither Eira or I used. I watched her pull out a small piece of paper and fold it until it was tiny, putting it into the locket and snapping it shut.

She held it out to me, letting it drop into my palm.

"What is this?" I asked, holding the locket delicately in my fingers.

When I didn't put it on, Jezerine rolled her eyes and draped her arms over my shoulders, clasping the locket behind my neck. She was so close I could scent her. She smelled of cherry blossoms and autumn rain after the leaves had finally fallen when they were musty but still smelled beautiful. I could feel my cheeks heating and was thankful when she finally pulled away.

"There," she said, pressing the locket against my chest. That didn't help the blush on my cheeks. It only made it worse.

She then looked up, her one visible eye a beautiful delicate brown. It swirled a slight red, like chocolate covered strawberries. I knew I had fallen in love with her years ago. Her kind heart and big beautiful eyes were just a few of the reasons why. It hurt me that she didn't know how much I loved her.

"It's the picture Eira drew of all of us when he was about five, well, the corner of it. You, him, Destrine, and me, at least before he started to hate me." She smiled, chuckling at the thought.

"He doesn't hate you," I argued.

Jezerine rolled her eyes. "Well, maybe not hate but he is definitely jealous of how much time you give to me. Somehow he can stand Destrine stealing your attention but not mine."

Her hand was still on the locket, so I gently pressed my fingers over hers. Her skin was so soft, her burn scars a slight bump on her skin but hardly visible.