Chapter 1 | Arcadia

Strutting through the school's entrance, tilting my sunglasses down to look at all the students, staring at me.

"HEY!" Someone yells at me, "This is a school! You can't be here!"

I glance at the large man, holding out my papers between two fingers, "I'm new"

Grabbing the papers from my hand he examines them, his 'threatening' form softening, handing them back to me gruffly, "ALRIGHT EVERYONE, NOTHING TO LOOK AT HERE, GO TO CLASS!" he yells at everyone, making them scurry away.

"Do you think you could point me towards history class?" I ask him sweetly.

"Yeah, it's that way," He points.

"Thank you, so much" I grab my papers, putting them in between the books I'm holding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Everyone!" The teacher announces, "This is Y/n, your new classmate,"

Everyone grumbles a greeting, "Miss L/n you may take any empty seat," He tells me.

I nod, taking a seat next to a boy.

"Hi, I'm Jim, Lake," He says,

"And I'm Toby, his best friend," Says another boy, on the other side of him.

"Y/n L/n," I say, holding my hand out to Jim.

"Nice to meet you," He shakes it, smiling.

For the rest of class, Jim falls in and out of sleep. And for the time he is awake, he is completely in another world, making me snicker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey! Guys!" I shout, running up to Jim and Toby.

"Oh hey, um..." Toby trails off.

"Y/n."

"Oh, right. Sorry, I'm not good with names."

"It's no worries." I shrug, turning to an ofc, distracted Jim, "Um? Jim?"

"We can't just let him do that," he says.

I turn my gaze to where he's looking, to see a big blonde guy hitting a locker.

"Um, yes we can, if psycho Steve's terrorizing him, he's not terrorizing us," Toby says, but Jim if ignored him, walking towards the scene.

"Jim? Jim! Oh no," Toby says,

We follow behind Jim.

"That's Steve, major butt," Toby says, "But everyone's scared of him so he gets away with a lot around here."

"Tell me again, dweeb face." Steve hits the locker, "Tell me about the creatures, and maybe? I'll let you out."

I roll my eyes.

"Or you can let him out right now," Jim says, "I mean, y-you know, it would be nice."

"Nice would be you minding your own business,"

"Oh! Hi Jim!" Someone shouts from inside the locker.

Steve slams his fist on the locker, "so where were we, oh yeah! You were telling me, about the monsters you saw" He chuckles, "This morning, with fangs, and what was it again?"

"Stone for skin!" The boy says.

My breath hitches.

"Hey, you know it's not real, Eli loves this sci-fi stuff" Toby nudges me.

"Stone for skin? Man, Eli, you got some imagination!" Steve laughs.

"Look, Steve seriously, just, let him out," Jim says, letting his bike fall to the ground.