14: Baku

AN: Before we get started I just want to say a huge thank you to everyone for supporting this story! We just hit 4K reads! thank you so so much and i hope you enjoy this chapter!

-

"C'mon Lewis," Bono squirms in his seat next to you, dark eyes reading the live delta of all drivers. He lingers on his Driver's pace, noticing as it wavers around certain chicanes and he hits away at the keys of his laptop.

There's something about being this close to it all that puts you on edge, for once you're not changing the tyre but helping to dictate the strategy. It's an intense job, but nonetheless enjoyable.

Your hands fiddle at your thigh, squashed between Toto and Bono, you have no room. Both men dwarf you, spreading their paperwork all over the show as they facilitate for you.

"Oh my god," You hum under your breath, raising your hand to bite your nail in anticipation, "Shit!" you gasp, splaying your hands on the desk as Stroll collides with the wall coming up to the pit lane.

Bono is instantly stood up, "Get ready!" He yells, anticipating the safety car as Toto lowers your hands from your mouth.

"Calm," He says, "Lewis has got this,"

Screaming engines shoot past, and then it happens, Max Verstappen's tyre pops and explodes down the main straight, terrifying you and the rest of the pit as the session gets upgraded to a Red Flag.

Only five laps of the race left, Lewis starting P2 with Ryan in P1.

You hear all the cars come back to the pit lane, Lewis bouncing out of his vehicle and making a B line towards you and Toto.

Out of politeness, you stood up, Lewis instantly slumping into your seat as his performance coach dashed over with a bottle of water and put it in his hands.

"You'll have to warm your breaks fast" You warned, "It's looking like a standing start so on the formation we need you to get those brakes as hot as you can,"

Toto placed his hand on your shoulder, the span of his hand engulfing you. His skin touched your soul as his eyes wandered your face, "He knows, darling,"

What he said surprised you, Toto and Lewis, with the World Champion looking at you, a smile testing his lips. You weren't keen to admit it, but Lewis was gorgeous.

"I'm sure she has a name, Toto," He joked, tapping your arm before taking a large gulp from his bottle, "I'm going to turn brake magic off,"

Toto stiffened, "Ok, I trust you," was all he said as the clock began ticking down to the restart.

Electricity surged through your body and you found yourself with clammy hands, patting Lewis on the back and offering a good luck before securing your seat.

This was where you'd be at a crossroads.

Ryan was, arguably, your best friend and you wanted her to get the first race win... but Mercedes needed the points badly. It would take Lewis back to the top of the leaderboards.

But Ryan deserved this win.

You buried your head in your hands as the drivers did their formation lap, Lewis' tyres giving off steam as he'd managed to get them that hot.

The red lights started counting down, and then it was lights out.

Blood thumped hard in your ears as Lewis began the overtake on Ryan, easily having the upper hand on her before running wide at the first corner.

Next to you, Toto smashed his fist on the desk, cursing at everything before standing up angrily. Your nails drew blood in your palm as Ryan continued the lap, praying that she'd have a safe race.