🌻Chapter 8

🌻

The company Gulf had joined, Slice City, offered their clients various information collected from the internet. In other words, it was an information and communication company.

When it was first established, its main focus had been hosting and maintaining internet servers and website-related consultations. However, they had expanded their business affairs to include the administration of a portal site, called 'Slice City', and multimedia planning and production.

Therefore, there were many development engineers and network on the art staff, but the test of the work was left up to the Sales Department which Gulf belonged to.

"While the art staff can relax and devote themselves to their work, we have to suck up to clients to secure jobs. If we didn't do that, this company wouldn't even exist. Our jobs are like being stage hands for some glamorous stage production. Without stage hands, it would be impossible to put such a large show. This job is difficult sometimes, and it's easy to feel down when you got scolded for something. But that makes the sense of accomplishment even greater when you finally secure a contract. That's why I can't quit this job," Kao said suddenly while they were on their way back to the office. They had just visited all their regular clients without securing a single advertisement, and were now totally exhausted.

Because the day's efforts had been in vain, Gulf guessed Kao, as his senior, felt he should give Gulf some words of encouragement.

"Don't worry. I won't give up after just one day of strike-outs. Sales is all about the accumulation of each day's efforts." Gulf said with a smile.

Kao raised his eyebrow in surprise. "You said it betrer than I did."

"Both my mother and father were in sales. They often talked about work when they came home, and I also heard their complains, so I'm fully aware of the hardships of this kind of work."

That's right.

Even though Gulf never had a mother who would greet him. At home everyday like he had so longed for when he was little, he had a mother and father who worked hard. He was thankful now to his parents for showing him the hardships of business.

"Is that right? Well, I guess I spoke too soon. We're not like those companies that have the time to spend training their new employees before sending them.out on assignments. There are a lot of weaker guys that just give up before they get used to the fast pace of the job. Before you came to work here, it was just an endless cycle of people quitting."

"Is that right..."

"We're a small company, so the most we can usually do is hire some spoiled kids from a third-rate private university. But usually, their patience doesn't last for very long. Maybe it's becasue they didn't have to work hard to get into college, so they don't know what perseverance is. Or that could just be my own stereotype. But I'm sure the president has thought the exact same thing. When he received your phone call, he was really excited about you. He said someone like you, who made it into an exclusive national university on the first try must have a lot of guts, and he wanted your talent for our company."

"So I guess that's why he came all the way from Tokyo to give me the interview. His enthusiasm persuaded me so much that before I knew it, I was here."

"I think you made the right decision. Weren't you originally going to find work back home? But instead, you changed your mind and came here for the first tine. Well, I guess it's kind of weird for me to thank you, but..." Kao tried to hide his embarrassment by laughing loudly.

Gulf felt a little guilty that Kao had some kind of strange gratitude towards him. Honestly, Gulf couldn't deny the fact that he had decided to work for the company because he had secretly hoped he would see Mew again, even though it seemed like those hopes were futile at this point.

According to Bright, Mew was simply an investor and was busy working with many other companies. He had looked at the company overview, and just as Bright had said, Mew was an executive of the company in name only. Gulf hadn't heard any mention of him since he had first joined the company.

But he was the one who had told Bright not to tell Mew anything. And in doing so, had destroyed his only chance of Mew knowing he was even there.

At this rate, he probably would never get to see Mew.

It was all about timing, after all.

Gulf had first met Mew because of the perfect timing of just one summer, there was no guarantee that another coincidence like that would ever visit him again.

TBC