CHAPTER 2

Sara cleared her throat.

   "We are here to celebrate on this wonderful sunny, warm day. I could've used this time to go get another pedicure but right now isn't about me," she read from the piece of paper in her hand. "We gather around these two people who have absolutely fallen head over heels for one another." With this I was shocked so much to the point where not a muscle in my body would move. I felt the tips of my ears burning with embarrassment and rage. "Denise Harvey and Nick Connor have known each other for 15 years. They weren't even born and yet, they were meant for one another." I snapped out of my daze and I jumped for Sara ready to rip that paper in her hands to shreds. I'll also make sure that she breaks a couple nails while I am at it. But obviously, they knew that they were going to get this reaction out of me. Lily held my arms behind my back along with Tina. Together, they are surprisingly strong. They twisted my arms so if I moved they felt as though I'd break them. Sara continued reading as if nothing had happened. "Nick Connor, do you take Denise Harvey to be your wife?" I looked at Nick but through the 'veil' it was hard to tell what exactly his expression was. "Your lives will be bound and you will love each other unconditionally."

   That did it.

I looked down at the foot on my right and I stepped down hard with the heel of my shoe. Whoever was on that side flinched and grunted but her grip was strong. I twisted my arm giving myself a snake bite. I twisted around and shoved Lily onto the ground. I glared at her as one might look at a traitor. Which is definitely how you would describe Lily right now. I twisted around to the other side and just glaring at Tina made her back away. I stormed over to Sara, ripped the sheet of paper out of her hands before ripping the sheet in half over and over and over again till each piece of paper was the size of a nickel. A look of satisfaction spread across her face. I ripped the piece of lace off of my head and I threw it down onto Lily as I stormed by her to get my backpack. I half ran and half jogged back to the front of the school. As I walked by Jack and Ryan I heard a couple of snickers a ooh's. But Joe seemed completely baffled. I didn't even dare look at Nick's face though. I had left school feeling betrayed, embarrassed and a strong feeling of vengeance courses through me. But more than ever, I felt tired.

I walked home and I used the key in my backpack to unlock the door. My Aunt Sophie worked at a hospital so she wasn't home half of the time. I had shut the door behind me and I threw myself over the back of the couch. I was glad and surprised that I hadn't cried yet. I think that the anger overcomes the sadness and embarrassment that happened 3 minutes ago. I unloaded my lunch and then I heard a ding. I looked at my phone on the dining table right beside the kitchen.

   Our house was pretty small. Every seemed to be squashed right against the other. When you walked through the front door and took 8 strides you could make it to the other side of the house. In 4, you could make it to the living room consisting of a fireplace, a couch along with an armchair. Then when you walk into the house, if you turn right you go to the dining table and the kitchen. To the left is a hallway with the bedrooms, bathroom, hall closet and stairs going downstairs. It was enough to fit three people. Me, my Uncle Joshua or just Uncle Josh and Aunt Sophie. My parents died when I was six. My mom had gotten sick, so much to the point where my father had to drive her to the hospital. On the drive there, another driver seemed to have another idea and very carelessly killed both of my parents. I had lived with my Aunt and Uncle on my mom's side ever since. My mom and her sister, my Aunt Sophie, were very close as kids and Aunt Sophie hadn't hesitated to say that she'd gladly accept me into their house. Uncle Josh is a University teacher so he would always arrive home earlier than Aunt Sophie but later than me. Uncle Josh and I spent a lot of time together but I didn't mind it. Even though Uncle Josh and Aunt Sophie were both really nice to me, there's just something about Uncle Josh.

I picked up my phone and it was a notification from Tik Tok on Justine's account. Then I got another notification from Sara's account. Then a bunch more notifications of people reposting whatever it is. I slowly opened my phone expecting the worst. I clicked on Tik Tok and I saw the video that in a matter of minutes has gotten 1,000 views and just as many likes. I watched the video wishing the ground would swallow me whole and everyone would forget about me. But that didn't happen. The video was a little bit behind Sara but over a little bit so you can see part of her face but perfectly captures mine and Nick's. There was slow love music in the background and above everyone's heads 'Denise Harvey +  Nick Connor forever' with a heart around it. I wanted to smash my phone on the ground or cover my eyes but all I can do is watch as it loops over and over again playing the part where my ears burn bright red and my face fills with shame. The look on Nick's face was similar to mine, it's just that he doesn't show it as much. That's when the tears started to fall all over my phone. I placed it down on the marble counter so it doesn't fall. But I just stand there crying. I must have stood like that for five minutes before finally pulling myself together and going to the backyard where I laid down on the grass and stared up at the sky. Sometimes I'll see my mother's or father's face in the clouds. I think that I might just be hallucinating, but I still looked every time. I laid down on the warm grass and stared into the sky, soaking up every single piece of the sun's warmth. I shut my eyes and listened to the birds chirping, talking to one another in some other language that only they can understand. I listened to the sounds of the dog two doors down barking at something and the familiar sounds of cars passing by on the road three rows of houses over.

-----

Hi so I had a free day today so Pigeon and I wrote another chapter and I thought why not just publish it right now? Separate note, Pigeon and I have thought about making a YouTube channel and make this book into a movie on Roblox. It'd be one chapter per video. Once we have the channel set up we'll tell you peoples and you can check that out if you want.

-

Remember to stay hydrated and that you are loved 💜 Have an amazing day or night!