15

Jace pulled up outside the hospital, then cut the engine to the truck.

"Do you want me to come in with you?" He turned and faced me, his eyes trained on me. I glanced at the hospital entrance and tried to swallow the panic bubbling in my throat.

"I don't want to put you out." I shook my head.

"That's not what I asked. I asked if you want me to come in there with you." Jace replied firmly. I looked at him and gave him a small nod. He climbed out and met me my side of the truck, then side by side we walked into the hospital. Debbie was sat outside my mom's room with Axel, her arm around his broad shoulders as he leaned forward, his elbows on his thighs and crossed his hands in front of his mouth. I approached them apprehensively, gaining Debbie's attention. She smiled at me, then removed her arm from around Axel. Axel glanced up, his red rimmed eyes meeting mine. I dropped into the chair the other side of him as he moved to wrap his arm around my shoulders. I leaned my head on his shoulder and let out a sigh.

"How is she doing?" I asked in a small voice.

"She's stable. She woke up briefly this morning but it wasn't for long. I would've called otherwise." Axel explained, giving my shoulders a squeeze.

"What happened to her?" I lifted my head and looked up at Axel as his lips drew into a thin line. He took a moment to reply.

"Her body is failing, Brooke. It's shutting down. They've had to put her on life support." My body went cold, my eyes frozen wide as I stared at him. He saw my expression, and quickly looked away.

"I'm sorry it's not better news." He said stonily before getting to his feet.

"I'm gonna go grab some coffee." He dismissed himself quickly before spinning around and stalking down the hall. Debbie reached over and placed her hand over mine.
"I'm so sorry sweetie." She said sympathetically.

"Mom, you should probably go make sure he's ok." Jace suggested. Debbie looked up at him then nodded and gathered her purse. She looked into the window of my mom's room and a look of anguish crossed her features before she followed in the direction Axel went. Jace sunk into the seat Axel had been in, his eyes focused on his hands folded in his lap. He didn't hug me, or tell me that everything was going to be ok. Even after all these years, he knew me through and through. He knew that if he did that it would make me break down, and I wasn't ready to do that. Not yet. Instead, he unfolded his hands and took mine, rubbing his thumb soothingly over the back of it as we sat in silence.

By the evening, Debbie had convinced Axel to let her take him home for some rest. I'd told Jace to go too, as the fourth rejected call from Joe on his cell was enough for me to shoo him away. He promised me that he'd be a phone call away if I needed him, then with a kiss on my forehead he left. My mom didn't wake up the whole time I was there, so I just sat beside her with her hand in mine lost in my own thoughts.

"Hey kiddo." I turned to find Axel leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest. He looked better than he had this morning, rest clearly doing him some good.

"You look better." I voiced out loud, getting a chuckle from him. His expression was suddenly serious again as he walked over.

"Has she woken up yet?" He asked. I shook my head solemnly, sliding my hand out of hers.

"Come on, it's your turn to get some rest now." He patted my back in a gesture for me to get up. I climbed to my feet tiredly, sliding my bag over one shoulder.

"Call me if she wakes up?" I said as I slid my phone out of my bag. Axel nodded and gave my shoulder a squeeze before taking my place on the uncomfortable chair beside mom's bed. I headed out of the hospital before dialling Jace's number. I waited patiently as it rang, then frowned as it continued to ring.