7

"Brooke honey, I made some breakfast for you." Debbie knocked on the door, waking me out of my slumber. I must have only got a couple of broken hours sleep at most.

"Alright, give me a minute." I called back, dragging my sorry ass out of bed. My head still throbbed from the tequila shots, making it difficult to complete even the most basic tasks. I managed to take a quick shower and tug on some black skinny jeans and a cream vest before shoving my long hair into a bun and emerging from Jace's room. Debbie was at the kitchen counter opening the mail with a steaming cup of coffee beside her when I walked in, my presence making her head snap up.

"Looks like someone had fun last night. How're you feeling?" She smirked, grabbing a pack of painkillers from the cupboard and tossing them over to me. I caught them and plonked myself into one of the chairs on the kitchen table. Debbie had poured me a glass of orange juice and made me some scrambled eggs on toast.

"Like I've been hit by a freight train." I replied, tossing a couple of pills into my mouth and washing it down with some juice. I tucked into my eggs, knowing they would make me feel better.

"Was Jace here last night? I thought I saw him drive away in your car." She asked, making me choke on my eggs. I loved Debbie to bits, but it was still awkward talking about her son I.e. my ex-boyfriend.

"Yeah, he brought me home." I answered vaguely, not wanting to go into any further detail.

"Huh..." She gave me a knowing look, making me feel even more awkward. I finished up my eggs before getting up and loading my plate, silverware and cup into the dishwasher.

"Well I'd better head up to the auto shop. Joe's been bugging me all week to help him organise that damn office." She rolled her eyes before tugging her boots on.

"I think I'm gonna head into town and see if there are any jobs going before going to see mom." I piped up before she left. She turned to look at me, giving me another one of her knowing looks.

"So much for a temporary stay, eh? I'll drop you in on my way to the shop, see you in the car." She winked at me before sliding her shades on and heading out the door. I went back into Jace's room and plugged my hairdryer in, drying my long dark hair into its natural loose curls. I never had to bother with my hair much now it was long, the unruly curls from my childhood long forgotten. I'd always kept my hair fairly short as a kid, too busy trying to be one of the guys to care about things like hair or makeup. I slid my boots on before grabbing my bag and heading out the door.

"Hey Doyle." I said to the large guy the other side of the counter. I had been all over town, my last shot at getting a job being at the diner. He turned around and looked me up and down, his grey eyebrows furrowed. His lips suddenly turned into a large grin and his eyes lit up.

"Brooke Tanner, my God." He beamed, coming around the counter and giving me a hug. I'd worked at the diner as a waitress as a teenager, so Doyle and I went way back.

"Never thought I'd see you again, kid. You're mom told me you'd left for good." I tried not to flinch at the memory. I plastered a smile on my face, pretending it didn't affect me.

"Yeah well, with her being sick and all, it was a good a time as any to come back." I shrugged.

"Yeah I heard about your mom, sad business indeed. Sorry." He gave me a sympathetic squeeze on my shoulder.

"Thanks Doyle. That's kind of the reason I'm here. I really need to get a job, think I could have my old one back?" I gave him a hopeful look. He eyed me for a moment, then finally let out a sigh.

"I'd love to Brooke, but times are hard, y'know?" I nodded, trying not to let my disappointment show. I thought if anyone was going to give me a job, it'd be Doyle.