A Niemun's Reverie

The swirling eddies of darkness coagulated at points and at others flowed like rivers, streams and upward spirals. Such were the walls of the fabled castle of the dark, the abode of the exalted Pteranathiels, the Insivia Ensable. Legends and myths that passed down like rain from the dark skies of Diedyme could do it no justice. The folk spoke of transcendent beauty that radiated power and dominance, striking fear and subservience into the hearts the rulers of the castle commanded. As the age of lost found had come to be, much of the folk had met their demise and much of the talk was buried with them.

The grand city of Vicheras, the capital of Pyranth, the heart of Diedyme, used to be as glorious as it was mystifying. It was legendary, much like the other exalted capitals. The realms had withstood the corroding corruption for far too long. The distant memories of grandeur echoed in the ruins that surrounded the untouched castle. Built into the cliffs and mountainous terrain that protected the castle, the city of Vicheras was formidable and much impenetrable as the capital of one of the greatest powers in the realms.

There, within shattered structures of magnificent mansions, towering skyscrapers and museums, could be seen the glimmer of the wonders that once made the city so revered. With the bloody light of the red moons above, the city was apt to be called the devils waste. The whole realm had become hellish and uninhabitable. Were it not for the constant efforts of the great emperor, his lambent darkness, Vicheras and all of Diedyme would be a long lost memory. The few parts of town that had not succumbed to ruin, the ones in the closest proximity to the castle sat unblemished, however reduced to shadows of their former glory.

If a denizen from their past visited them, they would surely term them slums. Simple lined houses were carved into the mountains. The few folk, the few thousands that took residence in there were granted utmost protection. For they were what remained of the once great race of Niemun, the dark denizens. They were once a proud race, hailed for their prowess in war, elusive and mysterious nature and their peace loving ways. After the great corruption, they had become known as demons and hellspawn.

Their great kingdom was tarnished and sullied. They were the enemy of all the other realms. Without no fault of their own, they were shunned by all others of the existing Vistere. The corruption had turned the once proud race of dark denizens into frenzied monsters, improving their already impressive physical attributes and taking their sanity.

Before the corruption, before it was termed hell, the realm of Niemun, Diedyme, was fabled for its towering volcanoes of dark, pure black, smokeless fire, the beautiful unusual flora and fauna, the lavish cities and megacities and metropolises. Their dark fire which they refined from its natural resource was the pride of the Niemun. The dark fire shone with a deep violet hue that illuminated everything around it.

The realm of the dark denizens had only one sun which shone with a pale violet-white colour. The triple moons of the realm were navy, violet and topaz from the biggest to the smallest moon. Hence they believed the dark fires were the result of the sun's energy mixing with that of the moons and the natural darkness that swirled abundantly in the realm. They harnessed the power of this very primal darkness and used the dark fire for the powering of their gigantic mega structures and their other inventions. The dark denizens never had reason to seek for another energy source.

The dark fire was termed Vyoiz by the Niemun and were famous in the other realms for their beauty and the power it was able to store. The Niemun could manipulate the fires into gems and lights and many wondrous gadgets of all sorts. The towering volcanoes forever spouted the gentle dark fire. The land was fertile and was blessed with many different kinds of flora and fauna. It was a dark fantasy, the visitors who came to Diedyme would say. The heart of Diedyme lay in the grand region of Pyranth, wherein lay the glorious capital of Vicheras.