Chapter 5

Brooklyn

            One semester down. I was proud to say that me and Anika had both soared through our first semester in college. This was our last day before break, so we kind of did like a spring cleaning in our dorm. It felt like the good old days. We blasted Ying Yang Twins, Ciara, and even a little bit of B2K while we cleaned and sang our hearts out. All the built-up tension between Anika and me felt like it had faded, or it could've been because I hadn't spoken to Basil in four weeks. How could someone show up, be my knight in shining armor by fixing my car and then just dip on me? This must have been the kind of shit that Anika was talking about. A hood nigga that would open up to you, make you feel special, and then disappear.

"You ready to go get something to eat?" Anika asked as I wrapped my hair down.

I was thankful that she had put me onto a hair salon out there because now my hair stayed slayed. I knew that I had to stop dipping into my savings just to keep up with my appearance, but looking good kept me feeling good. With Basil missing in action and me and Monroe decided to just be friends, I didn't have anybody but myself to look good for.

"Yea, I'm ready. Let's go."

            We were gonna spend the rest of the evening eating takeout, junk food, and watching movies—a real girl's night. We hadn't had one in years. I'm glad that my bubble Tommy Hilfiger jacket still fit with the little bit of weight that I had put on. The stiff coldness outside wasn't New York cold, but after being down there in the good weather for a few months, it was cold enough to me.

"How yuh not even finish ya first year yet and yuh already put on ya freshman fifteen?"

The sound of his voice sent a chill down my spine that the wind outside couldn't. Basil. Parked right next to Anika's car, he was leaned up against the hood of a red-colored version of his car. A giant gold bow was tied on the roof.

            My eyebrows dipped in confusion.

"Gurrllll, is that shit for you!?" Anika whispered.

I closed in the space between him and me. My strides over towards him were slow and steady.

"I haven't spoken to you in a month, and I've been texting and calling. Fuck is this?" I growled through clenched teeth.

"I had to go hit a lick shawty, but I'm back. I'll always come back."

He dangled the car's key fob above my head.

"Yuh said ya favorite color was red, right?"

Without me wanting them to, the corners of my mouth turned upward into a smile.

"This really mine?" I asked as I quickly snatched the key from him.

"Sho is."

            I hugged him—our first physical interaction. A simple hug sent bolts of electricity to my womanly area. I didn't know if it was the grand gesture of him making up for his disappearance or if it was the confidence that he had in me accepting the apology. It could have been that it was days from Christmas and the gift seemed fitting. Whatever the reason, I needed him. The smell had faded from his property that I had, and I wanted to smell it again. That hug wasn't enough for me. I wanted to smell his scent on my skin while he dug me out. We broke from our embrace, and that's when I noticed that my old beat-up car was gone.

"Oh, my God! Did they tow my car?"

Anika shrugged her shoulders.

"Dis ya car now. That old shit is out. I took care of it."