Chapter 2: Behind the Mask

Night Raid's Hideout...

The members of Night Raid were simply doing their own thing as of now. Leone was drinking, Najenda was telling bad puns to Mine and Bulat, Sheele was looking for her glasses, and Akame... was being Akame, eating fish by herself.

Suddenly, Lubbock walked in with a piece of paper in his hand. He was very invested in whatever it was, which the rest of them found odd.

"Whatcha lookin' at?" Leone asked.

"Oh, it's nothing." Lubbock said.

"Aw, come on! It can't be anything too bad." Leone pressed.

"Well... have any of you seen this recently?" He asked.

He then placed the paper down on a table. And all of Night Raid gathered around to see what it was.

 And all of Night Raid gathered around to see what it was

"Ugh... creepy mask." Leone shuddered.

"Murders?" Mine asked.

"I looked into that a little bit. He popped up about a month ago, started killing high ranking Imperial Officials and corrupt Upper Class... kind of like us. In fact, he's killed a few targets we were about to go after." Lubbock said.

"Is he one of us?" Akame asked.

"I've never heard of him." Najenda replied.

"Well, that's the thing. He goes after the same targets... but that's where the similarities end. He apparently attacks both at night and broad daylight. And he apparently leaves bodyguards and low ranking military grunts alive... unconscious, but alive." Lubbock explained.

"Interesting... what did you say his name was?" Najenda asked.

"That's another thing. No one knows anything about him. Who he is, where he's from. The only thing anyone knows about him is the fact that he's a guy. As for his name, the papers have given him a lot. 'The Reaper', 'The Ghost', 'The Wraith', and my personal favorite, 'The Outsider'." Lubbock replied.

"'The Outsider'?" Mine asked.

As her friends continued talking about the man, Akame looked down at his poster.

There was something about his mask that was unsettling to her.

Like an old sin had come back to haunt her...

One month earlier...
Imperial Interrogation Chamber

"GAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!" Byrnes screamed as a heated metal pole was placed on his skin for an extended period of time.

The Interrogator, however, was moaning at the sound of Byrnes' screams, like she was getting some sort of sick and twisted sexual pleasure from his pain.

Meanwhile, Esdeath and her Three Beasts oversaw the whole ordeal.

"That's enough." Esdeath said.