25. Ballroom

The chandelier beamed across the room, shining every corner of the darkness. Kaeya's arm gently rested on the h/c haired lady's waist, both hands made contacts between each other.

The luminous chandelier reflected clearly on her e/c eyes, like the river of gold on the night sky. Her dress swayed along to every moves they made together, reminded her the tale of a swan princess.

Piano's play followed with the melody and harmony, collided together with each other. Tension between the two partners drowned down as they were lost in each other's view.

"You're still the same as ever, Y/n."

The lady's lips were pulled up subconsciously. Her hand rested against the broad shoulder, eyes were locked onto his unwillingly.

How to move her gaze away from him?

"I'll take that as a compliment."

Once again, they swayed together deeper to the ball's floor. Practices after practises from her cousin finally paid off, she didn't make a single mistake and was aligned with Kaeya's steps.

She could be taking the lead if he couldn't catch up. However, he wouldn't mind if that ever happened to him, the only thing that was important was just the two of them together.

The distance between the two faces were close enough, and a single wrong move could bring them into few inches together.

Though, the touch of his hand on her waist lingered, she still paid no mind. Stares from the audience no longer bothered her, it was enough to convince Y/n was fine.

"Brings me back to five years ago."

Her mind tranced to the memory that she couldn't pick up, what happened five years ago?

"Care to explain一?" Y/n spoke, only for the last breath to be taken away as he switched positions with her.

When the song of What a Hopeful Voyage played by a piano, the curious girl stood up and grabbed her friend by the hand. Clanking of heels would ring as they swayed along with the rythm of the piano.

Just when the trios were together, alone in the room. Diluc would sit on the piano as the two would dance and sing together, as if this would be the last day.

And they would take turns who got to play and dance.

Five years ago before her obsession and suspicions toward her father grew stronger.

"We danced together as the first round," he conscised, brief but meaningful. Well, to him of course.

And when the sun settled down, additionally the pouring rain, one of them would sneak out and played with the rain. That 'one of them' was Y/n, dragging the two out and played as how she favoured.

Of course in the end, she would get scolded by some staffs. "I'm sorry, but at least they had fun!" Y/n stated to Adelinde in determination while looking at the lying brothers.

They were lying on the couch with fever. "Y/n, sometimes it's best to know your place," Adelinde warned half-heartedly.

Ah, right... she was just a girl that followed her brother here.

Kaeya's ears perked up, eavesdropping the conversation between the head maid and his friend.

"Yes, I'm sorry Ms. Adelinde."

Kaeya started with a low chuckle as he reminisced, but soon died down as the last part flashed through his head. Should he also be aware of their position?