Prologue

Prologue 

"Hannah, I had no idea. You have to believe me! You know I would never ever do anything to hurt you. Please don't shy away from me. Hannah, I'm sorry." I couldn't breathe. It felt as if all four walls had closed in without warning. I looked at Liam's face, strong and soldier like, and I couldn't believe he was standing in front of me. I hadn't yet questioned all of this, and that alone was the most ignorant thing I had done. He stood, with his arms stretched out toward me in a cautious manner, and as he began to move toward me, I backed away.  

"Don't touch me, Liam! I'm not ready to die. Just go away, and I won't die! You can't make me go anywhere with you." My voice broke at the end of my rant, and my legs began to feel like Jell-O. A sob broke loose from my lips, and my knees crumpled beneath me. Liam caught me before I hit the floor, and as he was taking me fully into his arms he lowered himself until he was cross-legged on the floor. It was then that I could hold it in any longer. I let myself cry and cry, until I couldn't anymore. Liam was patient and kind, caressing my hair and turning my face so he could kiss me on the fore-head. I didn't have the energy to push him away or yell. I had never felt more lassitude, so I just lay in his arms and cried. I felt that it was appropriate. I had every right to cry as much as I wanted. 

Once I had just a slight moment to collect my thoughts, it all clicked into place... Like a jig-saw that took me months and months to figure out. Liam was not my guardian angel. He was my death angel.