Chapter 1

An ominous fog had drifted over the entire city of Unknown, and it had no intention of moving. Liam had his headlights on low the entire way to school. His Chevrolet pick-up didn't cross twenty miles an hour the whole morning. I could feel butterflies dancing in my stomach as we pulled into the parking lot. I had a Human Anatomy Final today, and I was terrified. Liam graduated last year with honors from Livingston High School, the same school we were pulling into. He had the chance to attend school at Princeton, but is staying in community college until I graduate. I have begged him to go ahead without me, but he refuses each and every time. I feel secretly victorious, though I'd never voice that thought. I don't think I have to though, because he knows me better than I know myself. We met when we were in the eighth grade, and we have been inseparable ever since. He is my best friend.  

"Liam, I think I should just skip today. That'd be the wise decision. I'm going to fail this test. I can't do this, please let's just-"  

"Hannah Mae Louis, stop rambling. You're not going to fail. You are prepared for this. We studied half of the night." I smiled, because with those few words I was comforted immensely.  

"Thanks," I whispered. I looked at him from under my lashes. I knew we were about to have to part ways, and that sucked.  

"It'll be fine. I'll be here at 3:10, okay?" I nodded and he unbuckled my seat belt. He kissed me on the forehead and my butterflies began doing the Macarena. I told you he could read my mind. "I love you," he said through the kisses he was still placing on my forehead.  

"I love you too," and I did. More than anything, I loved him. He was everything to me. No, he was more than everything. He was my entire world. I stepped out of the truck, slammed the door, and turned around to meet his gaze. He smiled a breath taking smile, and I waved at him as he drove away. My confidence had drained. He was the source. 

I was suddenly half-way tackled by Katarina, my elementary school friend. She helped me pick up my books, and then smiled a mega-watt smile. She was a promiscuous young lady. I loved her though, and her sense of style and humor.  

"Guess who's number I got. You will never ever in a million years guess." She was waving a small piece of paper in my face as she spoke.  

"Jason's?" I strode past her, as her mouth gaped at my not so lucky guess.  

"How'd you know? Seriously, Hannah. How?" She ran to catch up with me, and continued to drill. I heaved a sigh. At least she was distracting me from that final.  

"Kate, I've known you for my entire life. I know what it looks like when you are smitten by someone. It's very rare. Usually you just toss them to the side and use them. You like this one. Every time he walks past I'm worried I might have to hose you down after your heat stroke. She giggled, and I couldn't help but smile. It was restricted, and she noticed. 

"It will be fine, you know? It's just finals. You have to be the smartest person I know. You are going to pass. You'll be out of high school, living with Liam happily ever after before you know it. Stop worrying." Her words were not convincing, but were none the less comforting. I walked towards my first final with that small amount confidence that I had just received.  

The day passed slowly, and I felt decently confident in all of my finals. The fog did not budge throughout the day, and I felt as if the weather was a background for the day, slow and depressing. It mirrored my mood, as I walked out of the front doors of my high school. Liam's pick-up truck was directly in front and my smile came from hiding and blessed everyone in my presence. I felt the need to share my new found good mood with everyone, but it was soon obliterated when someone bumped into me and caused me to drop all of my books. Liam opened his door, and came to my rescue. I turned around and searched for the perpetrator, and found a blonde haired boy with a handsome face. He didn't look like someone that would bully another. He smiled and it was then that I realized his eyes. They were a bright gray, so bright that they were almost white. I couldn't return his smile. My entire body was covered with goose bumps.