Chapter 3

There was a slow, steady beeping noise. There was only darkness, but I could hear everything, and feel much more than that. My body ached, my arm especially.

     “Henry, what was she thinking?” Mom! She sniffled quietly, and began to cry. I tried my best to open my eyes, but I was too weak.

     “Honey, she’s fine. She’ll be awake soon. With Liam passing, her finding out, us not being home, she more than likely saw no other way out. You of all people should know how the mind works. She was having a hard time. That’s no excuse for her jumping off the bridge, but the point is… She was not herself.”

     My heart ached at his words, and with much hard work I managed to get my eyes open.

     “Mom. Dad.” They both ran to my side at once and began petting and caressing me. My dad kissed my hand, while my mother kissed my forehead.

     “Oh, baby girl. I was so worried,” my mom gushed. Tears were falling down her face, and I was then ashamed of my selfishness. I could never kill myself and leave my parents. I love them too much.

     “I’m so sorry about Liam. I want you to know that everything will be fine.” My father whispered. My mom gave him a “go to hell” look, but he didn’t back down. He was always determined to make me see the truth in everything.

     “I know it hurts,” he continued and I turned my head away from him to release the tears daring to escape. I felt my mom brushing my hair with her fingers, and that made me cry more.

     “Just hush, Henry.” She said with force that caught me off guard. I turned my head towards them, caring little for the fact that they would see me cry.

     “Who saved me?” I asked abruptly, and they both looked bewildered.

     “Well dear, we don’t know. They found you unconscious in the woods. They saw you jump, but they never say you leave the water. They’re still looking for answers. We will let you know.” I shook it off. I needed to be by myself. I needed quiet.

     “I would like some time alone if you two don’t mind.” My voice was weak, and only a whisper, but it caused both of them to look at me in curiosity.

     “We can’t leave you, Hannah.” My mom patted my hand, and I’m not sure why but I began to cry again. It’s almost as if any kind of affection turns my tears on for everyone to see.

     “I’m fine, Mom. I need to be alone.” She shook her head, and took my hand in hers.

     “No, baby. We really cannot leave you. You’re on suicide watch. The only reason we can stay in here is because we’re doctors.”

     My heart shattered at her words, and I realized that it was my fault. I turned on my side, and decided that sleep was the best defense. I closed my eyes, and soon realized that I was weaker than I thought. The last thing I remember is hearing my parents taking their place in chairs across the room.

     I dreamed of Liam and I at his senior prom.

     “You look gorgeous.” He looked down and smiled at me, that breathtaking smile that could make anyone melt. He helped me pick out my turquoise ball gown, and I was very pleased with our decision. I had chosen to leave my hair down, and I felt that was the smartest decision when we found that our prom was outside. It was beautiful, but very chilly. It was the end of the night, and as people began to leave we continued to dance. They had rented an orchestra, which was rare and strange, but appropriate. There were twinkling lights, and a lot of white décor. It was perfect. He held me close, and at the time I was taking heavy advantage of his touch. I should have been relishing in his touch and smile. Committing it to my memory explicitly would have been appropriate. He kissed me softly, and spun me around. I giggled, and he followed my action. I loved his laugh. I was looking into his blue eyes, when something caught my attention behind him. This isn’t how I remembered it. There was a bright light enveloping the area around us, almost as if it’s main goal was Liam. It came closer and closer and I backed away, trying to take Liam with me, but he wouldn’t move.