Courage

I emerge from the darkness feeling a shaking. I immediately gasp for air and I look over to see Evelyn who is shaking Marcus. I push her off and try to find Marcus pulse. I don't feel any and so I immediately start chest compressions. I count each chest compression trying my best to not break one of his ribs. "Come on Marcus wake up please" Evelyn pleads and I then do mouth to mouth. I go back to the chest compression and I count 90. I keep doing mouth to mouth and go back to chest compressions over and over. 

I listen in for a heartbeat but I still hear nothing. I begin to freak out now. I could feel my tears developing and I take a deep breath. I go back to the compressions. 'Chest compressions can take up to thirty minutes to get a heart beat back' I remember reading. A few minutes go by and then I feel Marcus spring up and take a big breath. "You were dead!" I cry into his shoulder and he hugs me. "I'm okay" he tries to reassure me. Evelyn hugs her boy and me as well. I grab Marcus face and kiss him. I pull away rather quickly and he gives me a smile. "Your face is busted" he said and I completely forgot my nose was broken and blood was all over my face. 

Evelyn then shuts the door making sure the towel is in front of the lock. "We are such dumb asses" I say looking at Marcus and we both laugh. "Let me check if any of your ribs are broken." I say and lay Marcus down. I gently lift up his shirt. I admire the bruising that is on his chest. "Take a deep breath" I say and I touch each of his ribs. "Does it hurt to breath?" I ask and Marcus shakes his head. "Damn I'm good" I say pretending to flip my hair. Marcus and Evelyn both laugh. Evelyn grabs my hand. "Thank you for saving my boy" she says and I give her a soft smile. "He would do the same for me" I say and Marcus smiles. "I would for sure" Marcus sarcastically. "Shut up" I say pushing him and then we both laugh. 

Evelyn hands me the oxygen mask so I can breath. I take it and thank her and breath deeply. The tank is running low which means we are gonna have to leave the safety of the vault soon. I hand the mask to Marcus who breaths in the last bits of it. We all then look at each other and Evelyn hands me the baby. It coos in my arms and I shush it. Evelyn then opens the vault door peering outside. I breath the fresh air in after not having it for hours. I look to Marcus who is wearing the headphones praying he is gonna hear the sign from Regan. 

I hold the baby and rock it and Evelyn steps outside of the vault and walks over to the medicine bag she had dropped and picked it up. She then slowly picks it up and I feel a tap on my shoulder. Marcus looks terrified and I look and see the monster is still in the barrel filled with water. I almost scream but I stay quiet. Evelyn quickly darts for the vault and climbs in but she is unable to shut the door all of the way. The monster tries to rip us apart with its claws and I hear Evelyn screams as it slashes her leg. 

I turn my head towards Marcus. "Help" I whisper and he looks at me scared and then a look of bravery comes over his face. He unplugs the head phones and the ringing sound burst from the speaker. The monster falls back and onto the floor. He then picks the gun up that lay on the table. A bullet is sent into the monsters head. Marcus then looks back at me making eye contact with me and I smile. 

He had done it. He had done it for me. 

End of A quiet place part II

Wow that was a fun story to write. When Quiet place III comes out I will probably finish this book. Until then. 

How did you guys like it?