● Chapter 9 ●

The Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws collectively groaned after lunch as they unwillingly dragged themselves to their double Potions class. Thursdays were Cynthia's worst day of the week and it didn't help that Snape had been more miserable than usual, if that was possible.

 Upon reaching the chilly depths of the dungeons where Snape's classroom was, the students went silent as not to annoy the cruel professor already and began to silently wait outside the door.

 "Wanna bet a sickle that he gives out a detention within the first 15 minutes of making the potion?" Freida said in a hushed voice.

 "Shh," Cynthia said seriously as she noted that Snape was beginning to approach the door and open it for the students to enter finally, "Deal"

"Get your cauldron's out quickly and Silently" Professor Snape said monotonously "Put them in the back and sit down"

With a flick of his wand, the instructions appeared on the chalkboard, this double lesson would be spent making a wiggenden potion. 

"Today, you will be learning to brew the wiggenden potion which both heals and is used to awaken those suffering the effects of a sleeping draught" Snape said before giving them a page number in their textbook to write notes on. This, of course, was done in absolute silence and any hands up were ignored.

Cynthia and Frieda struggled on the potion which had an extensive list of ingredients and colours that it had to turn before it could be left to simmer. They constantly had to ask eachother on what they had to do and even had to ask Ahita, who was working alongside a Ravenclaw and looked annoyed after a while.

"Is it supposed to turn green after the honey water?" Freida asked Cynthia.

 "I don't know" Cynthia replied, her potion was still orange.

 "Ahit-"

 "Turquoise!" Ahita interrupted "It's supposed to be turquoise. Don't you read?" 

 Freida gave an uneasy smile, "it's easy for you, you're good at potions" 

 Snape was prowling around, sticking his overly large beak in between stations, giving deeply displeased looks and quiet comments. Fortunately, the sound of a clatter on the other side of the room caused Snape to turn around and move away from Cynthia and Freida.

After getting their potions to a colour which vaguely resembled turquoise, all that was left on their potions was the boom berry juice which only needed a few small drops. Freida added the juice to her potion and began to stir recklessly.

 Just as Cynthia was adding the boom berry juice, Freida's arm snapped back as though it had been scalded, jogging Cynthia's hand which was very cautiously on the beaker of juice, tipping a large portion of it in.

Cynthia's cauldron, which was originally filled with a light turquoise liquid had now turned a deep shade of purple and began to thicken and bubble.

"You jogged me!" Cynthia said helplessly.

 "My wrist caught the edge of the cauldron, it was boiling!" Freida replied.

 Now bickering, the two were unaware that the potion had become dangerously thick and began bubbling so wildly that it wasn't until long before the liquid went everywhere. It was all over the workstation, pooling onto the floor by their feet and even flew so far that it had even hit a few students and left them with wild red rashes. Just before the potion could hit Freida, she ducked behind Cynthia and the potion caught just the edge of her robe, burning a small hole.