5) Never Have I Ever Lost My Cool

As I made my way back to math class I couldn't help the feeling of defeat that weighed me down after leaving Principal Grubs' office. It felt like an invisible burden pushing on my back. Causing my shoulders to slum and my feet to drag heavily. Now existed a chance that Princeton would not accept me because of a suspension on my record. I couldn't understand why she just wouldn't remove the stupid mistake. It wasn't hurting her in any way. But it was killing me. Where would I go if I didn't get in? In all my sulking I almost missed the tall dark haired woman that walked down the hall and slipped away. She seemed weirdly familiar so I followed and jogged to keep up with her. Her pace was quick and she wore long black pants and a suit with modestly tall heels that clicked on the floor to match her strides . As soon as I knew for sure I called out her name to get her attention.

"Kamala?" My voice came out light and hopeful.

"Devi? Hello. I figured you would be in class so I didn't want to bother you." She turned around and gave me her brightest smile. She was back to her normal self again, I noted. This weekend was probably the lowest I had ever seen my cousin. She had been quiet, puffy-eyed, ashamed Kamala just a few hours ago. But now she was happy, vibrant, Indian boss lady in a suit and heels Kamala. Not even a trace of red was in her eyes anymore.

"I finished my test early. Uhm, what are you doing here?" Did she come here to see Mr. K? She had to have been if she didn't come here for me.

"I came to speak to Manish. I uhm, Prashant and I broke up." Oof. It sounded bad to say it but I kinda saw that one coming. Kamala looked down but tried to put on a brave face.

"It's, okay though. It would've happened eventually. I had been thinking about ending things between us for a while now. I just felt like he couldn't understand me like I thought he did. I came here to tell Manish I needed time to think and process everything, to pause whatever had started between us, and to gain my families trust again." Her voice was quiet and came out strained. It became harder for her to keep the cheery tone to her words. Her eyes were emotive as if reliving the events again.

"I'm really sorry, Kamala. Was Prashant mad?" I said it cautiously and sincerely. I knew she was in a delicate place so the last thing I wanted her to think was that I was just being nosey. I mean, I was. But in a supportive way.

"He was angry but more so embarrassed. He admitted he actually was going to propose at dessert and that when he realized I had left it hurt him terribly. He said he genuinely didn't feel us growing apart like I explained to him and I apologized for not communicating my feelings to him. But the damage had already been done. He was open to working things out but my mind was made up. He also said his parents mentioned some pretty awful things about me but he was too much of a gentleman to repeat them. Although, when his mother called him I overheard her calling me a 'disgraceful witch' which I guess I kinda deserved to be called."

Kamala didn't seem to interpret my question as being nosey and recounted the details of her break up to me. I was still team Prashant over team Mr. K. I mean, Prashant was hot and smart and legit perfect. Mr. K was smart and cool and all but he was no Prashant. The choice was clear to me, but, again. This wasn't any of my business. I guess perfect wasn't Kamala's type.

"Yikes." I responded to the last part of what she said, silently wishing that Prashant had actually told her what else his parents called her for making them fly halfway around the world to see their son get engaged, only to hear that his girlfriend fled through the window. And what else would they say about her after hearing she was the one to break up with their son after all of that? Kamala would not be living this one down anytime soon.

"I know right? Anyway, I told him I just wasn't ready for marriage like he was. That I was career oriented,  then we ended things. Right now I just want to focus on family and my new rotation tomorrow. No relationships no proposals no marriages." The words 'relationships, proposals and marriages' came out bitterly as she said them.