Chapter 2:Meera's diary-PART 1

When a tempest enters your life,it comes in as stealthily as a cat.But it is a silent thief which slowly robs you of everything even before you come to know of your loss...even before it creates an explosion in your life...even before it manifests to its full-blown form.It is like a blackhole which eventually sucks out every little happiness of your life...and makes you like itself...a symbol of misfortune and emptiness...
*****************************************20th February, 2000.
California,U.S.A.

I was busy preparing myself for bed.I had come all the way from India to U.S.A. to attend a conference which was scheduled for tomorrow. I went and lied down on the bed.I had a bad headache.Its been years since I started getting migrane headaches.I was too exhausted to even switch off the lights.

I was half asleep when I woke up with a start.Someone was knocking at the door of my room.I sighed.I really needed some sleep as my head was aching badly.I needed to look fresh for tomorrow's conference as I was presenting a research paper.Lazily,I just glanced at the clock...Oh my God!Half past twelve! Yawn...What does Susan want at this hour?

Slowly,I got up and opened the door.It was Susan...my friend's maid.And who else could have been there except her?I was staying alone in my friend's palatial house in California with only her maid for company since past five days.My friend had gone out on a holiday to New Orleans...just at the time when I was at her place and wanted to enjoy her company.Though she had apologized profusely for it and had even left her maid for my care.I couldn't blame her for that,I decided.She had a nice family and needed to take her two adorable kids out for vacationing at their grandparents' place.I gave another enormous yawn.

"Dr. Meera Khanna?"Susan said throwing an anxious glance at me."Are you alright?" she asked looking worried at my state.

And she did had every reason to worry...for I was half dressed and half undressed.My hair was ruffled and it looked like an untidy mess.I had slept with lights on.And I was deathly pale...even the analgesics(pain killers) had no effect on my headache...it was as bad as ever.

"Yeah,I am okay."I said."Its just that I have a bad headache. But can you tell me the reason for knocking at my door at this hour?"

"I'm extremely sorry,Ma'am.I beg your pardon. But a stranger outside insists on meeting you.He says that its urgent."

"Oh...okay."I was now really worried.I half hoped that it won't be a medical emergency in the neighborhood.

"And what does he call himself?" I asked casually.

"Mr.Amey Kamat."

"Wh...hat?"I clutched at the doorway for support as I could feel my strength ebbing away.

"Amey Kamat?"I gasped.This was something that I had least expected.That name had struck me like a bolt of lightening.

"Are you okay Ma'am?"Susan asked looking worriedly at me.