Chapter 15: Heal The Scars From Off My Back

"Where do bad rainbows go?"

Jiang Cheng groaned and let his head flop back against the pillow. "Don't do this."

"Where do bad rainbows go, Jiang Cheng?" Wei Wuxian asked again. He was sitting at the foot of the hospital bed and staring at his brother with unblinking eyes.

"...where?" he asked with a prolonged sigh.

"Prism." Wei Wuxian giggled. "It was a light sentence."

"Can't you just yell at me?"

"No. That's too easy. I'm torturing you with kindness." Wei Wuxian said simply, crossing his arms and waggling his eyebrows.

Lan Xichen leaned back in the chair and silently watched the exchange. For the first time in months, his anxiety was calm. He could finally relax, and he found that he was bone achingly tired. His lids were heavy and the rhythmic beeping of the hospital machines were lulling him to sleep.

After he had Jiang Cheng back in his arms, time seemed to stand still. He laid his precious boy in the passenger seat and drove to him to the hospital. Jiang Cheng didn't even have the energy to protest. His eyes closed and head lolled as warm air pumped from the car's vents. Lan Xichen began to panic that something was wrong. He tried to get his attention but Jiang Cheng had lost consciousness.

In a rush of squealing tires, he had his personal doctor meet them. Jiang Cheng was immediately admitted to a private room, with two of Lan Xichen's men standing guard. Lan Xichen immediately called Lan Wangji, and then paced up and down the hallway while he waited for news. After a while, a nurse came out and handed him a clear plastic bag of Jiang Cheng's clothes. The doctors had cut them off. The clothes were a disaster—the bag was wet with mud, blood, and rainwater. Lan Xichen had held the bag to his chest and prayed that wasn't the only thing he would have left of his lotus.

Thirty minutes later a barefoot Wei Wuxian had come running down the halls. His hair was down, and he looked like he hadn't bothered to get dressed. He body slammed Lan Xichen and demanded to know everything. Lan Wangji had followed, looking slightly more put together, and calmed his boyfriend. Numbly, Lan Xichen had recounted the events that led him to finding Jiang Cheng. Lan Wangji's eyes narrowed when he told them about Wen Xu but he didn't say anything.

Wei Wuxian grabbed for the plastic bag and dug through the clothes until he found the thick silver ring. He clutched it to his chest while he listened to Lan Xichen describe driving up to see Jiang Cheng on the ground with a gun pointed at his head.

Something sickeningly cold gripped Lan Xichen. Wen Chao would not live to see the end of the week, of that he would make sure. His men were already tracking him. It was only a matter of letting Jiang Cheng get strong enough.

Lan Wangji's eyed his brother with worry. While Wei Wuxian was out of ear shot, he approached him.

"Brother, are you sure what you've done is right?"

"If you're asking me to feel bad for the things I've done, don't waste your time. I did what I had to do to get him back. To keep him safe. Tell me, would you not do the same for Wei Wuxian?"

Lan Wangji's face was impassive and not judgmental. "You killed a man."

He glanced at his brother. How could he understand? He believed in a moral code—a justice system that would serve as punishment to keep the people's hands clean. It was a nice thought. But that same system failed Jiang Cheng's family, and it would have failed him too.