Chapter 2

Shivanya was engrossed with Yuvraj so, Bela had to look for a new partner to chat with and was instantly bestowed with the smiling face of her friend, Suhani.

"Upon my word, Suhani! What on earth were you doing for so long? Why are you so late? " asked Bela with no more amazement than annoyance.

"Oh! I was confused about what as to wear for the party."

"You call it a reason,do you? You never were anxious about dresses, to my knowledge.

"I wasn't. I, certainly, am not,even now. But Sehgals are very rich folk, you know. I didn't want you to be ashamed of your friend."

"Nonsensical girl! Why shall I be ashamed of my friend? And if you really care about my reputation, you better kidnap my mother for this evening," said Bela with a sigh.

Bela glanced at her mother who stood almost three yards from her but her voice was so loud, and worse uncontained that it could be heard clearly from her present position ,and certainly in the whole room. She cringed and suddenly caught Mahir's eyes, only to make it worse.

"Why does she not stop talking? Her voice can be heard in the whole room. What must they all be thinking?" She murmured to Suhani with a serious tone.

"Don't overthink, Bela. Everything is fine," assured Suhani.

"Doesn't seem so."

Bela was standing and staring at the dance floor filled with vibrant couples. But the most soothing of them were her sister and to-be brother-in-law. When the dance ended ,Yuvraj walked to Mahir and gave him a nudge only to receive a frown. Bela was overhearing their conversation.

"Come on, Mahir bhai! Will you just stand this gloomily even in my engagement party?

"What do you want me to do? Dance?"

"Exactly! Just the thing. I hate seeing you standing in this stupid manner."

"No one insisted you to bother about me,anyway. Enjoy your dance which you are doing,needless to say. Go to your fiancee otherwise someone else will steal her."

"I certainly shall. But I must have you dance. Look at her sister, Bela. I already introduced you to her a while ago. She is just as beautiful as her sister and very amiable . Isn't she? Go ask her for a dance. She will make a perfect partner for you."

"Dance with her!? Not in my right mind, to be sure. She looks fine but not good enough for me. No one is dancing with her. And you want to push me to a girl no one is interested in? Seriously! Now leave me in peace."

Yuvraj after failing in his attempt thought it best to leave him. Bela changed colour on the remark. Her expressions turned a little pale but she convinced herself that she didn't want to dance with him either.

After the engagement rituals ended. Both the families gathered to congratulate each other.

"Congratulations ,Mr and Mrs Sharma. We are in laws now," said Mr Sehgal delightfully.

"Thank you,I wish you the same."

"I hope you find the hotel adequate for your guests."

"Indeed sir, it is more so."

"Of course!How very fine all the rooms look! And very comfortable as well, I dare say," interrupted Mrs Sharma.

She continued about how glamorous the party decor was and everything possible in the hotel and remarked how fortunate they have been to form an alliance with the Sehgals. She assured them of their choice of bride as well saying that Shivanya was a very beautiful and accomplished girl ,sought after by so many boys in college but they all got rejected. Bela flushed at every word of her mother. She glanced at her poor sister who was as embarrassed as she was. Then, she looked at Mr Sharma who tried his best to smile and Mrs Sehgal who seemed so annoyed but fortunately was convinced by her husband to bear it. And lastly she stole a glance at Mahir who stood with an expression which indicated his internal ridicule for her mother. So, Bela tried to morph the conversation into another way.

"Rejection is not always so bad as it seems,I believe."

"Of course not. But the humiliation that comes along,is," replied Mahir,the last person she expected to do so.

"It's very tricky to humiliate anyone until and unless you know what really does them so. The wise never care about opinions of others. They accept both rejection and humiliation with grace."

"May I ,perhaps, know the secret behind such great patience?"

"Yes, surely. They are well aware of the fact that they are not good enough for such people instead too good for them," Bela said with her eyes affixed on Mahir and a ravishing smile.

This time, Mahir changed colour. He had no idea how she heard him. He searched for words but failed and looked the other way.