Chapter Nineteen: Conditions

By the time Marlowe returned to the family lodgings, it was late afternoon and the house was in an advanced state of chaos. Servants were scuttling through the halls, carrying items to and fro. There somehow seemed to be new trunks, all half-packed in the study, the parlour was completely upended, and everyone's nerves seemed frayed if the household staff's expressions could be trusted as true. 

In the midst of all the chaos, he found Kate, perched on the edge of a floral chair, a book open on her lap though her leg was bouncing animatedly. Her attention was clearly on her mother, who was holding up two teacups from unmatching sets and wearing a look of absolute panic.

"What do you think about the rose pattern, dear? It is fashionable, but is it really more appropriate for Paris?"

Kate swiped a lock of loose hair behind her ear and slumped exasperatedly. "How should I know, Maman? I have not yet stepped foot in Paris." Her strained voice seemed to indicate that this was not the first time that she had been consulted on the merits of various china patterns.

"The French are so elegant," Mrs. Jennings moaned. "I should hate to have a tea service that is unfashionable...." Her eyes flicked like spinning marbles between the two cups. "Maybe we should take the lattice pattern? It is simpler, but perhaps more in vogue..."

Kate flipped her book shut and groaned. "Or just buy a new set when we arrive if you are so concerned about French style!"

Marlowe hid the affectionate smile that was pulling at the corners of his lips. Why was Kate's consternation so bafflingly endearing? He cleared his throat and stepped through the door, no longer content to simply watch their charming scene of domestic drama. "Good afternoon Mrs. Jennings, Miss Jennings." The corners of Kate's eyes seemed to soften when she saw him and he felt a corresponding surge of warmth course through his body along with a nervous patter in his heart.

"Oh, Lieutenant!" Mrs. Jennings seemed so startled that she almost dropped the teacups. Marlowe rushed to her side, gently prying them from her clammy hands and setting them lightly on the end table.

"Mar--Lieutenant!" Kate had sprung to her feet, nearly tripping on her pale yellow gown. "Would you care for a walk? It's so stuffy in here."

He gave her a devilish grin. "Are you sure you aren't needed here? I would hate to deprive your mother of her helper."

Kate scowled and grabbed his arm. "You don't mind, do you, Maman?" She batted her lashes in a transparent attempt at daughterly manipulation.

Mrs. Jennings seemed to look at anything besides Marlowe and Kate, fiddling with the rose pattern cup that Marlowe had just removed from her nervous fingers. "Of course not, dear. Why don't you take a quick turn with the Lieutenant in the courtyard? I'll finish up here." She picked up the teacup. Squinted at it, and then set it back down again before looking to be passionately absorbed by the inlay on the side table.

Marlowe clenched his fist, feeling a little tremor pass through him. Mrs. Jennings's nervous energy was infectious, but he took a calming breath as Kate yanked on his arm towards the garden door. With a little half-smile, he inclined his head to Mrs. Jennings on the way out, who gave him a secretive look that was half-grimace, half-beaming smile before going back to fiddling with the cups. 

Kate had not seemed to notice her mother's anxiety. Her eyes flicked over him as they slowly passed the bougainvillea, whose lush pink flowers sat becomingly alongside glossy green leaves. "How was it?"

"It was...odd," he said thoughtfully. "Nicholas is taking her to Scotland. He thinks that it would settle her to be near family for a time. And they did seem...better in some ways. Maybe they will continue to improve there."