"She Be But Small, But She Be Mighty."

Field:
1) Wallfell
Sire: Dortmund
2) Bluejay Screech
Sire: C J's Awesome
3) Gold Hold
Sire: Goldencents
4) Mo Ve Over
Sire: Uncle Mo
5) On Your Toes
Sire: Run Away And Hide
6) Sparks Collide
Sire: Calidoscopio
7) Lover's Revenge
Sire: Palace Malice
8) Theworldisahead
Sire: Animal Kingdom
9) Threepeat
Sire: Archarcharch
10) Greenisforgo
Sire: Cross Traffic
11) Tiger Eye
Sire: American Lion
12) Dividing Line
Sire: Firing Line
13) Listen For It
Sire: Dialed In
14) Nashville
Sire: Speightstown
15) Heartland
Sire: Normandy Invasion

The field was loaded with good colts. There was Lover's Revenge, who was second to Theworldisahead in the Derby. Then there were Heartland and Nashville, both of whom had run in the Derby and were fresh. Heartland was also a closer. Listen For It had won the Peter Pan in what critics called the best edition of the race in decades. Dividing Line, winner of the Dwyer, had also won the Derby Trial. Sparks Collide had won 3 allowance races more than a mile in 3 starts, and he was a son of Calidoscopio, who was famous for coming back to win from 20 lengths off the lead. Wallfell was the runner-up in the Remsen, and was by Dortmund. Tiger Eye had won the Frederico Tesio Stakes at Pimlico, and Gold Hold had won the Sir Barton Stales there. Threepeat was the winner of last year's Champagne Stakes, and had been 3rd in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. The first and second-place finishers, Greenisforgo and See the Jay, respectively were also running. Greenisforgo was the son of Woodward Stakes winner Cross Traffic and had only raced in allowance races since the Breeders' Cup, so he had plenty in the tank. It was going to be extremely hard to beat ALL of them, but I was most worried about Nashville, Lover's Revenge, Listen For It, and Greenisforgo.

~John~

I walked over to Taylor to find out my instructions. She wanted me to hold Theworldisahead farther back than usual so she would have more in the tank. Then, I was to make my move at the start of the final turn, like Gunner Jackson did. It seemed to work pretty well for him, and Taylor wanted to try to give Theworldisahead another dimension if she could.

As I was boosted up onto Theworldisahead, she started to prance. The crowd loved her, and there were a bunch of little girls screaming her name. Taylor went to sign a few autographs, making the kids a priority, when I saw an old woman standing to the side, watching us. I recognized her immediately. Penny Chenery. Crap. She was probably mad at Theworldisahead for breaking Secretariat's Derby record. Her eyes were fixed on the filly under me. I was nervous now, but I fought it off. If I got nervous, Theworldisahead would get nervous, and that was the last thing I needed right now.

It started pouring as we stepped onto the track. We loaded into the gate smoothly, and took off just as smooth. I settled Theworldisahead in 6th as we headed down the backstretch and into view if the public. Theworldisahead was raring to go, nearly tugging the reins out of my hands. Finally, halfway down the backstretch, I HAD to let her go, even though I knew Taylor would be mad. Theworldisahead lowered her head and swept past every other horse except Lover's Revenge. The pair began to pull away from the rest of the field. Entering the second turn, Theworldisahead was on the outside. Suddenly, Lover's Revenge's jockey, Mike Smith, let Lover's Revenge come over and smash into us. Theworldisahead faltered, but quickly regained her stride.
"What the ---- are you doing? I'm calling an inquiry!"
"Under orders, man," Mike responded. I was surprised he let his horse do that; he was a good guy.

But I went on with my horse, pushing her over near Lover's Revenge. I made sure she got her head in front, and then she slowed to look her foe in the eye. I wasn't quite ready for the explosion that came. She grabbed the bit and took off. All I could do was stay on and let her do her thing.

"Entering the stretch, an empty track lies waiting for the Belmont Stakes winner...and the first to enter it is Theworldisahead! She's all alone and opening daylight on Lover's Revenge after that bump on the turn...

{I started scrubbing on Theworldisahead, just hand-riding her into the finish. As we crossed the wire, I looked back to see how far in front we were. I really couldn't tell.}

And the filly Theworldisahead races into history as the 12th Triple Crown winner and the first filly to win it 18 lengths in front!"

There was an inquiry due to the "bump" (more like a slam), but nothing came of it because Theworldisahead won anyway.

The realization of what had happened finally settled over me as we were led to the winner's circle. The Triple Crown trophy gleamed in the sun, finally being held by the owner of a Triple Crown winner after being deprived of one for more than 40 years.

~Taylor~
I was frozen the entire race, just waiting for a fateful step that would determine the outcome. When she was forced outward by Lover's Revenge, I covered my mouth, hoping she wouldn't go down. She didn't. I heard Bill Nack say next to me, "She's just as tough as Ruffian!"

An old lady was jumping up and down next to Mr. Turcotte.
"Ronnie, we got a Triple Crown winner again!"
"Yeah, we do, Penny. I'd like to see her race Red."

Penny Chenery was extremely happy about the win, but not nearly as ecstatic as I was. The trophy was presented by Ms. Chenery, and I poured water into it for Theworldisahead to drink.

After the long ceremony, I was glad to get back to the peace of the stables. Theworldisahead probably felt the same way. After gobbling up her feed, she lay down and took a nap. Even champions need their naps.