Chapter 1

It was a stormy night, and Sonic needed to find shelter quick. He had always hated water, whether it be rain or a lake, and it didn't help that the rain was coming down particularly hard right now. A strong gust of wind managed to blow Sonic's pink cowboy had directly off his head and into a puddle, which he proceeded to pick up, trying not to fall in. This cowboy hat was particularly important to Sonic. It was an heirloom that was first passed on by his great great grandfather, Lil Nas X. Sonic looked up after putting on his hat and spotted an onion shop out of the corner of his eye.

Finally, shelter he thought. Not many shops were open this late, especially in this weather. He was relived to finally find a place to stay, even if temporary. He quickly ran over to the door and went inside. The warmth instantly wafted against his electric blue fur, like sunlight in a meadow. He walked up to the cashier to ask if he could stay for a little while.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY STORE?" Asked the cashier, with a roar.

"I was just wondering if I could stay in your store for a little while, at least until the storm calms down. I'll even by a few dozen onions, if you'd like." Sonic responded quietly, with a small smile. He couldn't help but notice how handsome the cashier was.

"Very well." Said the cashier. "Let me go get you some cocoa to help you warm up."

Sonic sat by the windowsill, watching the rain come down, with the occasional flash and loud boom of thunder and lightning. Maybe someday that could be us, Sonic thought, only to quickly extinguish it. I've only just met the cashier, I shouldn't be planning a life with him already. After a while, the cashier brought Sonic his cocoa.

"Marshmallows or no marshmallows?" Asked the cashier.

"Marshmallows please." Sonic responded. "By the way, I haven't managed to catch your name, what is it?"

"My name's Shrek." The cashier responded with a smile. 

"What a lovely name." Sonic said, returning a smile. "My name's Sonic."