•CHAPTER 12•

•||Trauma||•

||•Take My Heart•||

Tension.

Tension swayed back and forth like a vibrating barrier. The barrier was a fit of vibration between the crew who first killed a zombie and the other two males who deemed their mission a failure.

On the sand-floor, Illumi grunted from pain. His head blood devoured, and his facials painfully scrunched. He tried looking at the stilled background, at his shocked team, at his brother's ghostly face. That's when it came to him why everyone looks so haunted. Gon.

He averted his gaze to the guy standing a few feet from him. As if finally his sense of hearing came back. Gon is now grunting in pain. And a human mutant was biting his forearm as if famished for flesh.

"Killua! What are you waiting for?!" Gon yelled. It wasn't exactly a cry for Killua. He was yelling at everyone to move. The infected human next to Illumi growled and limped to him again, but he fell all of a sudden. Kurapika was standing behind with a dagger. He cut something into his neck, forcing the man to die.

Killua used the same weapon, but it was dumped to the ground when he witnessed Gon failing. "I said leave!" After a grunt of desperation, a cry out of pain, Gon's voice wasn't the most beautiful song in Killua's ears anymore.

He hyperventilated although it wasn't the best time to do so. Gon's not allowed to leave. Not after the bond, not after sharing a special thing a day prior. His feet moved, and he took a step forward instead of backward. He's rescuing Gon, he's killing a bitch.

"Killua!" Leorio screeched, forcing the other to stop. His grasp on Killua's wrist burned, but Killua didn't look back. His eyes pierced into Gon, into his chest to visually inspect his breathing, his facials, his clenched jaw, his bleeding arm. He inspected the new apparent veins all around the bite. The infected human growled and tried to take a huge bite, to disintegrate Gon's skin. And with each tug, Gon dismantled.

He didn't wait any longer. He ran to Illumi's car, which others considered a sign of fleeing. However, Killua had other thoughts in mind. He went back to where the child rested, in the back seat. Even though the engines of the cars were all back to life, Killua was ready to let everyone leave without him. He's not leaving his brother and Gon. It was obvious that Illumi had a deep head injury out there too.

"Hand me the box." Although he quivered, although his voice danced within his demanding words, the boy looked around to notice the first aid kit. He hurried with his puny moves and handed the box to Killua.

Anyone would consider him crazy to try and rescue someone who already holds the virus. Gon's out there, fighting still. He didn't growl yet. He didn't turn yet!

He grabbed the last two bottles of disinfector. One is betadine, the other contains alcohol. He didn't forget to grab the flamethrower along the way. Who would've guessed Killua would use that first? He wouldn't care if that will blast and kill all of them if this will save Gon and him the suffering of turning.

He threw the betadine to the ground, the disinfector was thrown in the air a second after. Killua fixed the loading of the flamethrower, mentally noting that whatever the gas it holds will be enough for one click. Gon shut his eyes when he witnessed the empty eyes of Killua.

That wasn't a look Gon recognized. It felt like a look of the devil. As if Killua ditched his kind soul that Gon once knew and loved. Killua's narrowed eyes, Killua's tight lips, Killua's focused gaze all reformed a fragment of I better see you dead than deformed. And Gon is grateful if that's how Killua thinks. He prefers dying instead of turning.