22

After the first week, managing a museum becomes a busier job than I thought.

There hasn't been a day where I can sit for more than 5 minutes. Well I suppose I am making this more work than it has to be because I want to have a fashion show here. I have dedicated a large arena in the back of the museum for a fashion show. After all, I was in the fashion business and can recognize that fashion is art itself. It's where I started.

"When are the applicants for the fashion show going to come in?" I ask my assistant, who happens to be the former intern at Delta. We walk down the hallways, on our way to whatever happens next. 

Brian looks over the paper in front him. "The first interview is oh- right now." His phone rings and he takes one look at it and silences the call. "It's the Brothers."

The Brothers are a group of men who make disgusting pieces that degrade and over-sexualize women. I only had to see of their works to know that I did not want to partner up with them. The things they painted were truly like putting a needle-pin through the eye. If there lack of talent wasn't enough, they're also extremely sexist. They once told me they found it odd that a woman was running the museum, even more a Mexican woman so I should consider finding an alpha male to take care of the job. Because to them 'women in this industry never make it'. I've never met them, and I don't ever want to. 

I've told everyone in the museum to ignore their calls.

"Thanks, intern."

Brian rolls his eyes as he makes his way out.

"Why do you always mess with Brian?" Mateo asks. As always, he stands beside me in a black and white suit with an earpiece stuck in his ear.

"None of your business."

The truth is, Brian and I have grown quite close these last couple years. He obviously got the assistant job I had when I quit at Delta. But I know since I have worked with him, the kind of work that he does. He's thorough, fast, and smart. I wanted him on my team. But Brian neglected me as soon as I made the offer.

"How can I trust that you're actually going to build a museum because Poppy Clane asked you to? That's 4 years from now."

It took much persuasion, but after seeing the blueprint for the museum, he was all in. And thankfully, he has helped me run this place.

"Come on," I grabbed Mateo's hand. "Stop being so stiff and watch the interviews with me."

After 4 hours of interviews, I think I know which designers I want. All of their works are unique but impactful. Their style so easily defined yet so nonconforming. I'm shocked that people from around the world came to interview, one of them coming from Brazil. Was Poppy Clane known everywhere? "Are you ready?" Mateo asks, packing up behind me.

"Yes, let me just-"

"There's one more interviewee," Brain says. I glance at the clock. It's almost 4 and I haven't eaten all day. My stomach rolls in waves. 

"Let them in," I speak, trying to put more energy in my voice. Mateo speaks into his mic vigorously.

Mateo grunts annoyed. "Aurora, you haven't eaten all day. Let's go."

"I know," I complain, "But what do you want me to do? What if they came from far away? I can't just say no." The doors open when I say, "But start placing the order for fried chicken."

A familiar face walks in. Mateo tenses next to me.

"Max?" I ask, astonished. He smiles brightly, the complete opposite of his very professional appearance. "I haven't seen you in years! How are you?"