prologue

Before the storm

Before the storm

THE SUN WAS SHINING BRIGHTLY OVER THE outer banks. You could hear the faint sounds of birds chirping if you listened closely enough, the wind carrying it all throughout the air. Truly, it was a beautiful morning for whoever was awake and chipper, however, for some, it was absolutely dreadful.

Some meaning Val Jimenéz, she fucking hated mornings.

"Fucking Rafe." The girl mumbled underneath her breath, scrubbing the counter inside the Druther's fiercely.

Valeria worked cleaning just about anything the Cameron's had to offer. She took up tons of odd jobs, having to make money wherever she could. Apparently, Ward Cameron and her father used to be friends so, the man would help her out here and then.

But she hated it when she had to clean up after the eldest Cameron sibling.

"I say the same thing all the time, at least someone gets it." Val jumped up in fear at the sound of the voice, her heart pounding against her chest as she turned to look at the blonde who had spoken to her.

Sarah Cameron.

"Fuck, you scared me." The Jimenéz girl ran a hand over her face.

"Hm, watch your mouth, my dad might hear you." The blonde grinned, leaning up against the wall that was next to the door. "Don't want him to find out you've been using foul language on his prized possession."

"You wouldn't tell him shit, we both know that." Val narrowed her eyes, setting the rag in her hand down. "We both also know that I wouldn't be afraid to kick your ass if you got me fired."

"You know you don't scare me, right?" Sarah asked, her brow raising slightly. "It's going to take more than some threat and a glare to make me run away."

"Who said I want you to run?" Valeria shook her head, tapping her foot on the ground. "When does John B get here? I have a bone to pick with him."

"I don't know." The Cameron girl shrugged her shoulders lightly. "I don't keep track of him, like at all."

"Makes sense." Val pushed herself up onto the counter she had just been cleaning, immediately cursing herself in her mind because the surface was still wet. "Why would a Kook care about one of us trashy Pogues, anyways?"

"That's not what it's about." Sarah shook her head lightly. "I just have my mind preoccupied, the whole Kook and Pogue thing doesn't matter to me."

"Oh yeah? Because last time I checked you were the princess of the Kooks. I don't think you get that title for no reason." Valerie narrowed her eyes. "Just saying."

"Last time I checked you are the princess of the Pogues." The Cameron girl retorted, folding her arms over her chest.

"I'm not pretending to be something i'm not, that's the difference between us." The Jimenéz girl shrugged her shoulders. "Being a Pogue isn't something i'm ashamed of, can you say the same thing about being a Kook?"

There was a hint of fear in Sarah's eyes that said it all. The girl fidgeting in place as she turned her gaze elsewhere. Valeria laughed lightly, her hair naturally moving behind her shoulders.

"I'm going to get back to work now, but you're free to watch." Val smiled sarcastically, the Cameron girl rolling her eyes as she pushed herself off the wall.

"See you later, Jimenéz."

  VALERIE FINALLY GOT HOME AFTER A LONG DAY. Her bones were aching fiercely as she threw herself on her couch, letting a sigh escape her lips. She looked up carefully at the ceiling, the one that had water damage polluting the whole thing.

Man, she needed to get rich.

"Weasel! Are you here you little shit?!" Val yelled loudly, her voice sounding throughout her home as she called out to her best friend.

"Of course I am, where the fuck else would I be?" Campbell filed into the room, a bag of chips in her hand as she bit down on the cheesy snack.

"I don't know, maybe you finally decided to go back home." The Jimenéz girl sat up in place. "Are those my fucking Doritos?"

"Maybe." Weasel shrugged her shoulders lightly, throwing herself on the couch beside her best friend. "What about it?"

"You seriously need a job." Val huffed, blowing a wave of hair from her face as she laid back again, reaching out for a chip.

"For what? I pay rent money." Campbell handed a Dorito to her friend, pouting her lips slightly.

"You pay me rent money from when you pickpocket Kooks." Valeria shook her head, a smile tugging at her lips. "I hate them just as much as the next guy but, I don't want you to get caught."

"Me? Caught? Never." Weasel chuckled, her head resting in the other girls lap. "They don't call me weasel for no reason."

"Sure, but the only weaseling you'll be doing in prison is trying to escape." The Jimenéz girl shook her head. "On a real note, I need you around, if you get caught, what the hell am I going to do?"

"Oh, I don't know. Shrivel up and die? It is one hundred percent a possibility that will happen." Campbell laughed, ruffling her friends hair. "I'm trying to get better, I promise."

"Have you gone out to the beach today?" Val knew the answer, yet, she hoped somehow that she was wrong for thinking that.

"No... yes, maybe." Weasel sighed, sitting up as she set the bag of Doritos onto the glass table. "Okay, yes, I did.."

"I should be mad at you." The Jimenéz girl let out a soft sigh. "Did you at least do something besides steal?"

"Yeah, of course." Campbell tapped her foot on the ground lightly. "I hung out with John B, and then JJ and Pope came to surf with us."

"Hm." Val wiggled her brows, "Alone time with Routledge? I love."

"Nothing happened, we just talked." Weasel smiled, looking down at her feet. "Don't give me your usual bullshit about us, I don't want to hear it today."

"Are you saying I spout bullshit?" Val gasped, holding a hand against her chest.

But, the girl knew her friend was right.

AUTHORS NOTE—
Here's the prologue! It's just s little set up for the dynamics Val has with Sarah (a.k.a future wife) and Weasel (a.k.a literal best friend on earth)

Thoughts on Valeria? (Bye saying fuck is a personality trait for her)

Hope you enjoyed!