Chapter 18

I stared into the flames as the fire slowly died out, grand orange waves of light simmering down to small glowing embers in the gray ash.

The moon had completely risen, thousands of shimmering bright stars spreading out across the dark sky with it.

I didn't care that it was light's out. Peter could punish me if he wanted to.

I was too focused on the hundreds of racing thoughts in my head to even attempt getting some rest, my own voice echoing throughout it loudly.

My hands squeezed the edge of the split log tightly. The tender marks on my palms left by my nails screeched against the rough, splintered wood. I clenched my eyes shut, trying to steady my erratic breathing.

Maybe Ross just needed some space, needed some time alone to realize there was nothing going on between Peter and I.

But at the same time, why did it matter at all? Ross didn't own me. Who was he to shut me out and push me away for something that didn't even happen? It wasn't fair.

But then again, nothing on Neverland was.

Was I going to be trapped here forever? Was I confined to this island indefinitely, with only vague remnants of my past lingering like a fog somewhere in the back of my head? I shuddered at the thought.

The sound of hushed laughter pulled me out of my own head.

I peered around me, my head turning left and right as I tried to see where the sound was coming from. I noticed movement near Connor's hunt, my eyes squinting to adjust in the darkness.

A sigh of relief escaped my lips. It was just Levi and Connor, leaving Connor's hut.

They were whispering to each other and trying to stifle back laughs as Levi gave Connor a gentle push. Connor grabbed the arm Levi pushed him with, pulling him closer as they're grins practically lit up in the dark.

And then, they kissed.

My jaw instantly dropped open.

Connor's eyes met with mine. He quickly pulled away from Levi, motioning to where I was sitting. Even in the dark I could see their faces flush.

"Oh." I heard Levi whisper as our eyes met.

I quickly turned away, trying to pretend I didn't see anything. But obviously they knew I had, and were making their way over to me.

They settled on a log across from where I sat, Connor's hands nervously running through his disheveled curls as Levi spoke.

"Wendy, we can explain." he started quietly, looking at me with anxious eyes.

Connor cut in. "You can't tell anyone." he pleaded with wide eyes. This was the first time I had seen Connor's confidence waver.

"They'll freak out if they find out about us. They wouldn't understand. And Peter..." his eyes sunk, looking down to the ground below him.

Suddenly, everything made a lot more sense. The shared glances, the way they were always together, the advice Levi gave me. It all clicked instantly.

Levi placed a hand on Connor's back, looking back at me with a face full of concern. "Can you keep this between us? We'll do anything. We'd really appreciate it, we can't let anyone find out, we don't know what will happen, and we don't want-"

"Guys, guys!" I loudly whispered, holding back a laugh. "It's okay. Your secret is safe with me." I assured, giving them a smile.

Connor grabbed his chest as he released a big sigh of relief.