Onism

5 PM

The two got back. Rooster grabbed Maxes bucket, and poured the water in for the final time of the day.

Max was breathing heavy. "Whew.. Ok, so is that it? We're done? Anymore jobs?"

"Yep. One more."

"Oh."

"You can stop if you want."

"No, I-I I wanna do this."

"mh."

Rooster walked to the side of the barn and stood by cubed hay bales. These ones were slightly smaller in size compared to the other ones from earlier.

"You might be able to pull these."

"Oh, great!" Max watched Rooster do it first.

Rooster gently bit the the string that held the hay together, and pulled.

"Oh, that's how. Easy enough."

These bales of hay were still big for Max, but they were basically nothing compared to the cylinder ones from earlier.

Max went over to the smallest bale. He chomped down on the string, and began to pull. He pulled with all his strength he had.

It didn't budge. Max opened his eyes to check his progress. His brows went down with frustration.

He pulled harder, this time with his whole body.

Rooster stopped and looked over. "Max you probably shouldn't do that."

"No no, It's fine!" He said between gritted teeth.

He let go and took a breather.

Rooster continued pulling his bale, no longer watching Max.

Max looked over to check if Rooster was watching. "whew-"

He chomped on the string again, and pulled with his body again. He dug his legs into the ground, and tried to launch himself off the hay. And this might've moved the hay, even if only an inch..

However, the string snapped back and struck Max right smack-dab in the middle of his nose and snout.

He flew back, a loud yelp filling the silent farm. Birds and crows flew away.

Rooster stopped what he was doing and immediately dropped down by Max. "Woah, you alright there Max?"

"ugh...."

Max slumped his head up and felt woozy. He quickly left his lightheaded state though, as he felt something dripping from his nose.

Blood.

"Max? You alright?"

Max wasn't responding and was dead set on focusing on the blood escaping from his nose.

Rooster went down to Maxes level, stuck out his tongue, and licked the blood off with three quick licks.

Max was stuck in place. His pupils shrunk to the size of an atom.

Max shook his head and looked straight up at Rooster. "What did you- Why- What was that!?"

"What?"