Conceit

"Hurry up Max!" Rooster shouted out as he left barn.

Max turned and gave Duke a "HELP ME" look.

Dukes face was devoid of all emotion except excitement. "Have fun Max!!"

Max sighed and turned to look out the barn. He saw Rooster running up a hill and into some woods. Max followed quickly.

Max entered the woods and was greeted by a darker atmosphere of tall grass, and fallen over trees. Rooster was jumping over all of these with ease.

Max prepared himself and ran through the thick grass, blades hitting his face. "Ow! Owch- OW!"

His next obstacle was a fallen over tree. He attempted to walk around it, but bushes covered both sides.

So, he had only one option.

He put both legs into the ground, and sprung up with every single bit of his might.

*clUnk*

His cone on the trunk and fell back.

He jumped again, and he threw out his tiny paws and claws out against the bark, attempting to climb up. But yet again, he fell back.

A voiced echoed through the woods. "Max? Max where are you??" Rooster ran back to Max.

He spotted Max right away. He looked down. "Max what are you doing? Come on!"

"Rooster, I'm trying I-" Max looked down and avoided eye contact. "I can't- uh heh... Jump over this..?" He looked up at Rooster and smiled awkwardly.

Rooster went down and grabbed Max by the collar and held him as he ran. Max yelped and screamed for a few seconds, but realized Rooster was just actually helping. Max couldn't help but feel like he was being carried so easily and with such care. It made him blush without realizing it.

"Rooster, I think you can drop me now-" Max said, trying to stop his blush from growing.

"Whatever you say." Rooster dropped Max.

Less than a minute later, Rooster had to pick Max up again because of the difficult terrain.

Finally, the two arrive at a tree. Rooster points with his snout upwards towards a branch. "She's up there."

"Oh, I see. Geez you have such a good eye Rooster."

"Hm. Avril, don't worry, MAX is coming up there to save you."

Max jumped back. "What?! Rooster I'm a- I'm not a cat or something, I'm a dog! A little dog!"

Rooster leaned down to level with Max and looked over at the tree. "Yes I know you're little. See that hole there? In the tree? You can fit right in there and climb up through there and reach her."

"But Rooster I- you see I have this er- Cone, and I can't go in there with it. I wouldn't even be able to fit through the entrance! Like yeah, I-I would take it off trust me, but my therapist and my owner said it needs to stay on."

Rooster stared at Max for a few seconds. "Get rid of the cone."

"I-I would Rooster but they sai-"